Research Associate-Fixed Term
Back to search results Apply now Job no:844458
Work type:Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Engineering
Department: Civil And Environmental Engineering 10016148
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Categories:Engineers/Architects, Research/Scientific, Fixed Term Academic Staff, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) and the MSU Industrial Assessment Center invite applications from outstanding candidates for a Fixed-Term Research Associate (Postdoctoral researcher) position in the area of energy, sustainability, and decarbonization of buildings. The initial appointment will be for 12 months. Renewal for up to three additional years is possible, subject to funding and satisfactory performance evaluations.
The positions will be under the direction of Dr. Kristen Cetin and Dr. Annick Anctil. The Research Associate will work as part of a multidisciplinary team with primary emphases in the areas of building energy performance, energy modeling, life cycle assessment, building decarbonization, and energy workforce development. The successful applicants will serve in a project manager role, helping to coordinate day-to-day activities for the MSU Industrial Assessment Center (IAC). This includes (a) IAC-related research projects, and (b) field work supporting ASHRAE Level 1 and 2 assessments conducted at commercial and industrial buildings throughout Michigan and surrounding states. This individual will have the opportunity to be involved in a leading role in data collection and analysis activities for research projects, help to write research grant proposals, support training of students in understanding building energy assessment procedures and systems, coordinate among various project stakeholders, support achievement of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals, as well as help to shape the direction and goals of the efforts within the MSU IAC. More information on the MSU IAC is available here: https://iac.msu.edu/ . They will also have opportunities to mentor both graduate and undergraduate students on research projects and assessment teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
- Doctorate in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Energy Engineering, or a closely related field by the start date.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Record of scholarly productivity.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, building systems vendors, and industry professionals
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills.
- Knowledge of buildings, building systems, and sustainability topics, particularly as they relate to buildings in the U.S.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with building energy, emissions, and related data, including programming, calculations, graphing, and data analytics.
- Knowledge of HVAC, compressed air, process heating and cooling, building envelope, and other major energy consuming systems in commercial and industrial buildings.
- Experience training and/or mentoring undergraduate and graduate students on research projects, laboratory and field work.
- Familiar with key decarbonization, energy, and emissions goals, legislation, and targets in the U.S.
- Experience in managing research and/or energy related projects, including coordinating personnel, meetings, site visits, data collection, analysis, and report writing
- Experience conducting ASHRAE Level 1, 2, and/or 3 energy audits.
Required Application Materials
Applicants are required to submit
- a cover letter; 1 to 2 pages, please include the reason/motivation for applying, relevant research and/or industry experience related to this position, relevant training and/or mentorship experience
- a Curriculum Vita
- a vision statement (0.5-1 page) regarding diversity, equity and inclusion
- three references with contact information
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at:https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
For full consideration, applications should be received before March 1, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis thereafter until position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
The MSU Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has strong interdisciplinary research at the frontiers of knowledge, and first-class educational programs on a foundation of core civil and environmental engineering disciplines. The Department has 28 tenure-system faculty members with strong research programs across all major areas of civil and environmental engineering, and annual research expenditures of about $7M. The Department has accredited B.S. degree programs in both Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering. The current enrollment is approximately 145 full-time graduate students and 600 undergraduate students. For additional information about the Department, please visit https://www.egr.msu.edu/cee/ .
MSU enjoys a park-like campus with outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is adjacent to the city of East Lansing and the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 470,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. The MSU Civil and Environmental Engineering is committed to amplifying perspectives and stories by underrepresented and oppressed communities through engineering foundations and creating an inclusive environment for meaningful dialogue about ideas leading to solutions. Information about Work Life at MSU can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised:Jan 30, 2023 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:Jan 30, 2025 Eastern Standard Time
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*