132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 19 New Jobs Today.
The Space Exploration Sector (SES) of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, MD is seeking an Executive Assistant in the Space Department Office (SDO) to perform a wide range of office support, primarily to the Managing Executive, while also assisting office staff in routine administrative matters to meet deadlines.
Be Part of Something Innovative
Over the past 25 years, the Space Exploration Sector at APL, has pushed the boundaries of what is possible; delivering game-changing impacts to sponsors like NASA and the Department of Defense. This includes historic, science space firsts like New Horizons reaching Pluto, Parker Solar Probe being the first to “touch” the sun, and the DART mission that redirected an asteroid for planetary defense. As a not-for-profit university affiliated research center, APL also delivered solutions to our nation’s national security challenges, as proven with the recent Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) Tech Demo, and acts as a trusted partner with the US Space Force in space domain awareness and space-integrated warfare.
APL teams are currently developing missions that will advance the search for life in the Solar System through programs such as Europa Clipper and Dragonfly, exploring the lunar and cislunar domains, and providing fundamental knowledge of our Sun’s influence on the near-Earth environment through IMAP and other research and technology endeavors. To learn about these APL’s mission and projects, https://civspace.jhuapl.edu/ and https://www.jhuapl.edu/OurWork/NationalSecuritySpace.
As Executive Assistant, you will…
- Provide administrative support to the Managing Executive; exercise control of the calendar, including scheduling and document preparation, interacting with internal and external executives, administrative assistants, and sponsor staff to coordinate and prepare for a variety of meetings and presentations
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects and organizational needs regarding meetings, timeframes, and deadlines
- Provide administrative assistance to routine requests of office staff
- Arrange travel and schedule of visits, coordinate appropriate reservations; assist with employee reimbursements
- Provide conference room meeting support and assist with the preparation of meeting materials
- Support preparation, reviews, editing, updating, proofreading, distribution and archiving of memorandum for office staff. Organize and maintain electronic office files and logs. Perform quality assurance checks on correspondence and presentations.
- Interface with sponsors, stakeholders, lab management and staff, as appropriate, and provide follow-up assistance, as needed
- Support executive via collecting of data, tracking commitments and curating email
- Participate in staff meetings
- Provide backup support to the SES Executive Assistant during absences
- Perform other duties as assigned.
You meet our minimum qualifications, if you…
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Business Admin, Management, Communications or related business field and a minimum of 5 years, or a High School diploma or equivalent with a minimum of 10 years of administrative experience
- Have excellent organization, tact, diplomacy, time-management, communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills; an ability to interface effectively with all staff levels and representatives of external organizations and with a professional demeanor
- Have strong motivation to effectively meet organizational needs and proactively seek out opportunities for additional tasking
- Are comfortable working in a dynamic environment, capable of prioritizing a continuous workflow with frequent interruptions, working independently seeking guidance, as necessary
- Have strong commitment to detail, follow-up, and follow-through
- Possess strong proofreading/editing and file management skills
- Have ability to handle sensitive personnel information and organizational data with a high degree of professional maturity and confidentiality
- Are proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Can demonstrate you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You will go above and beyond our minimum qualifications, if you:
- Have experience in SES and/or APL policies, practices and procedures, including but not limited to travel, purchasing, security, and property administration
- Are proficient in internal APL systems
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*