We are seeking kind, talented and energetic individuals with experience in education or childcare to help provide nurturing instruction to elementary school students after school. At Imogen Roche Foundation, Inc., our programs are dedicated to supporting the social and emotional learning of participants by providing choice-based activities that empower student voices, and delivery methods that develop compassion, understanding and kindness. Our afterschool programs aim to achieve these goals while serving the childcare and enrichment needs of children and families in NYC public schools. Teaching assistants are the regular, daily staff members who set the emotional tone of the program, and provide consistency and nurturing to the children in our care. In addition to assisting experienced teachers in planning and implementing specialty classes, Teaching Assistants (TA) lead students in recreational and sports activities, supervise transitions (arrival, snack, dismissal, etc.) and participate in professional development sessions. As the most consistent staff members at the program, TAs are essential to children feeling connected and safe after school. Candidates must be punctual, reliable, personable, organized, compassionate, kind and fun!
This position is a great opportunity for a dynamic, self-starter to gain hands-on experience working with students in a school setting, and get in on the ground floor of a rapidly expanding nonprofit organization with high professional growth potential.
Role and Responsibilities
- Greet students during snack time and take attendance.
- Oversee dismissal and transition of students between activities and end-of-day.
- Work with teachers to provide a safe environment for children.
- Work with teachers and appropriate other staff and consultants, to provide individualized support to children through assessments, development and/or implementation of individual education plans.
- Maintain open and ongoing communication with the program director, activity specialists and other staff.
- Work with Activity Specialists and Education Specialists to prepare and implement daily activities.
- Successful previous experience working with children, preferably in an after-school program with great job references
- 2+ years of classroom experience OR currently pursuing a degree in education or a related field (preferred)
- Excellent academic skills and practical experience in your subject area; professional experience a plus
- Ability to create an atmosphere that will encourage creative thinking, verbal communication, a problem-solving approach to conflict between children, independent exploration and self-confidence and awareness.
- Capacity to broaden and synthesize experiences in working with children.
- Ability to organize time and effort to meet regularly assigned duties and occasional emergencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*