If you enjoy variety, we will put your timeâ€management and organization skills to use through field visits, office work, and projects. We will have you involved with special projects, job shadowing, and real work, both in the office and out in the field. We will help deepen your practical engineering knowledge and pave your road to success by taking an immersive journey into our business.
Explore our unique business model and key differentiators through training, research, and first-hand experience! Shadow employees in a range of departments, attend meetings, and experience being a part of the FM Global team. Gain exposure to our training program for consultant engineers, access on-demand learning sessions across a range of topics. Learn how to apply our loss prevention standards for FM Global clients. Join our engineers in the field and live a "day in the life" of a consultant engineer. Assist with special projects and see how engineering data is used throughout the company.
During the internship, you will be given assignments of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. The internship will provide the opportunity to:
- Participate in FM Global training to learn the fundamentals of building construction, occupancy, protection, and exposures (COPE) as it relates to risk assessment and risk mitigation.
- Learn the fundamentals of fire protection systems.
- Trail FM Global Consultant Engineers during their visits to commercial properties of varying complexity and learn how to perform â€œhandsâ€onâ€ site assessments of the physical property, including roofs.
- Review mechanical and electrical equipment operation, installation, maintenance, and loss potential hazards.
- Make recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement.
- Document risk analysis of locations visited.
- Lead and deliver a technical project to be determined by FM Global Supervisors.
- Shadow professionals in various departments within FM Global to gain a holistic understanding of the company and engineering team.
- Participate in professional development events with other interns.
Successful Consultant Engineer Interns have the following qualifications:
- Plan to graduate with a bachelor's degree in engineering (civil, chemical, mechanical, industrial, electrical, etc.) or fire protection; able to demonstrate diverse knowledge of engineering principles;
- Ability to work full time during summer internship and commute to assigned operation throughout internship;
- Valid driverâ€™s license and access to a vehicle throughout internship;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Efficient time management skills; naturally inquisitive and able to undertake and deliver projects;
- Physical ability to climb commercial ladders (ex. inspect roofs), lift >25 lbs., and some clients require working in confined spaces.
- Proficient in MS Office products.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*