This job has Expired
Research Assistant - DEPP
Working TitleResearch Assistant - DEPP
Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Experience
Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (occasional longer work days or Saturday, in case of emergency))
Job LocationBeltsville, MD
DepartmentEntomology and Plant Pathology
About the Department
Essential Job Duties
The Research Assistant will work under the general supervision of a Team/Project Leader to support projects on developing and validation of molecular and biochemical methods for the detection and identification of plant pests/pathogens, as directed.
Work duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducting experimental (bench) work according to the work plan, recording and reporting results in writing or orally to the Project lead, operating and maintaining lab equipment;
- Maintaining greenhouse plants, and laboratory maintenance tasks as following:
- Cleaning and maintaining general lab areas and labware;
- Preparing media and reagents; autoclaving.;
- Tracking reagents inventories and budget expenditures for the project; purchase reagents and supplies; schedule and organize FedEx/UPS shipments;
- Performing all research with adherence to the S&T PPCDL Quality Management System.
- Completing all required technical, EEO, and work safety training.
The position is based at the APHIS-PPQ-S&T Plant Pathogen Confirmatory Diagnostics Laboratory in Laurel, MD. The incumbent must be a U.S. citizen or have permission to work in the U.S.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Plant Pathology, Microbiology, or a relevant field, or a relevant Bachelor’s Degree with at least three (3) years of experience supporting relevant research.
Other Required Qualifications
- Ability to plan and follow planned activities independently.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- The candidate must be able to pass a background check.
- The position is based at the PPCDL in Laurel, MD. US citizenship, permanent residency, or US employment authorization card (EAD) is required.
- Documented experience with basic molecular biology methods (nucleic acid extraction, PCR and RT-PCR, gel electrophoresis and others), and microorganisms culturing techniques.
- Knowledge of detection & identification of microorganisms, and experience with sequencing and sequence analysis.
Required License(s) or Certification(s)
Valid NC Driver's License requiredNo
Commercial Driver's License requiredNo
Job Open Date12/02/2022
Anticipated Close DateOpen until filled.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Position TypeEHRA Non-Faculty
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00
Appointment12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Medical Emergencies
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?No
Department ID111801 - Entomology and Plant Pathology
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*