This job has Expired
Epic SER Analyst
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Medicine’s Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) Department seeks a Business Systems Analyst to join our EHR Application Infrastructure team within the Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) division in the role of an Epic Technical Security SER Analyst. This position is responsible for maintaining EHR system security. The ideal candidate must understand the foundational structures of Epic software, including security templates and sub-templates, and be able to help establish ownership and change delegation guidelines. The SER Analyst is responsible for maintaining the provider data within the Epic EHR. This requires advanced SQL database skills and frequent updates to production data. This role also requires considerable written and verbal communication to collaborate across all levels of Michigan Medicine staff, from administrative leadership, physicians, and technical staff to Epic Application Coordinators and unit clerks. This role will maintain a close working relationship with the organization's Compliance, Information Assurance, and Identity & Access Management teams as part of ensuring robust security practices for the EHR.
Under general supervision, the successful candidate will coordinate security initiatives, implement best practices, and provide production support for the Epic based EHR system. This position will analyze, develop, and implement processes to ensure MM maintains a reliable, secure, and responsive system. The candidate will create process changes by integrating new processes with existing processes and communicating these changes to impacted teams. May lead work groups and act as project manager as necessary. The candidate will be responsible to collect system and workflow requirements, define and document use cases for the development of technical solutions extending the functionality of the EHR system, design services for data exchange to secondary systems, and support tool sets for these initiatives. In addition, the candidate will develop operation support procedures with supporting documentation, prepare reports, presentations, and correspondence for management review. The role also supports demand, project, and portfolio management activities. The candidate will collect and collate technical information and coordinate technical resources to ensure organization’s best practices are being met and support both internal and external system audits and assessments.
This position requires the ability to work in a fast paced and complex environment. Requires excellent people skills, and ability to think critically. Person in this role must possess exceptionally strong verbal/written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate in a variety of formats (written, phone, face-to-face, large audience presentations, etc.) with a variety of personnel spanning technical and non-technical roles at multiple levels of the organization including professional, managerial, and leadership positions. This position will provide guidance/training to more junior staff and will require occasion weekend work to support system upgrades and participate in a support on-call rotation.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Technical - Operational Support
- Support EHR provider database & EHR Security
- Review and resolve/triage tickets related to EHR provider database and EHR Security
- Support EHR Upgrades
- Troubleshoot interface problems
- Support HL7 interface changes through analyzing requirements, updating specification documents, and participating in unit testing, end-to-end testing, and regression testing, and troubleshoot interface problems and provide operational support
- Support Epic upgrades by reviewing release notes and determining relevance to our system, and then implementing new features as appropriate
Technical - Move Data
- Manage daily and weekly processes that create and update EHR user and provider records, using SQL scripts and Excel spreadsheets to pull data from source databases; maintain documentation for these processes
- Manage processes that validate data and correct discrepancies
- Manage lookup tables, keeping them in sync between source and target provider databases
Security – Provision
- Understand the Epic software security structures, including security templates and subtemplates
- Support and promote the established ownership structure for EHR security, which means determining which team owns which security classes and ensuring nobody updates security components that belong to a different application team
- Support and design role-based access security processes
- Support processes to activate, deactivate, and update user records; maintain documentation for these processes
- Manage Encryption of EHR workflows after upgrades and production database copy-downs
- Manage Departed Provider process
- Manage EHR Deferred Providers work queue
Admin & System Support
- EHR support meetings
- Assist and support security audits
- Build relationships and communicate regularly with people who fill a variety of roles; examples are non-technical clerks and clinicians, business analysts, business managers, and directors, as well as highly technical database administrators, interface developers, and application coordinators.
- Co-lead the EHR provider database Workgroup – schedule and lead meetings, publish minutes
- Perform any other work tasks as assigned by manager
Required Qualifications for Senior Level
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years+ professional experience, preferably in a healthcare related field.
Required Qualifications for Intermediate Level
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years’ professional experience, preferably in a healthcare related field.
- Ability to analyze, update, and create SQL scripts
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking, and listening
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Attention to fine-grained details
- Fluent in relational database concepts and applications
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot HL7 interfaces
- Ability to run meetings, record minutes, gain group consensus, track decisions
- Understanding of concepts of data privacy and security as implemented by HIPAA regulations
- Ability to effectively communicate, convey information, and build understanding and consensus with varying sized groups and settings – both small and large meetings, in-person and conference calls or a mix.
- Demonstrated excellent time-management skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, adaptability, and flexibility.
Training and certification
Already have and maintain or acquire within the first 6 months of hiring:
- Epic Security Administration training and certification is required
- Holding an Epic Provider Administration Badge is desired
Desired Qualifications for Senior Level:
- 10+ years of experience in the Information Technology field in a Business Systems Analyst or other technical role of which 7+ years of that work experience being in the healthcare sector.
- Advanced experience handling Provider data
- Expert knowledge and experience with Epic EHR system in a security or SER role
- Knowledge of available options for data exchange and HL7 messaging and proven experience working with and implementing solutions leveraging these options
Desired Qualifications for Intermediate Level:
- 4+ years of experience in the Information Technology field in a Business Systems Analyst or other technical role of which 2+ years of that work experience being in the healthcare sector.
- Experience developing queries and mapping system and data processes
- Experience with Epic EHR system and familiarity with security configuration
- Basic knowledge of available options for data exchange and HL7 messaging
This position is being made available with the ability for you to negotiate alternative work schedules and remote/on-site options to suit your work-life balance. Non-Michigan residents should inquire about potential employment while working remotely in a state other than Michigan. Apply to be part of a strong team that partners with our institution, community, and each other.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
We offer a benefits package that includes comprehensive training and career development opportunities, generous retirement savings plans, ample paid time off, and a wealth of family care support: https://careers.umich.edu/benefits
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*