Modeling and Simulation Systems Engineer
Over the past 25 years, the Space Exploration Sector at APL, has pushed the boundaries of what is possible; delivering game-changing impacts to sponsors like NASA and the Department of Defense. This includes historic, science space firsts like New Horizons reaching Pluto, Parker Solar Probe being the first to “touch” the sun, and the DART mission that redirected an asteroid for planetary defense. As a not-for-profit university affiliated research center, APL also delivered solutions to our nation’s national security challenges, as proven with the recent Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) Tech Demo, and acts as a trusted partner with the US Space Force in space domain awareness and space-integrated warfare.
APL teams are currently developing missions that will advance the search for life in the Solar System through programs such as Europa Clipper and Dragonfly, exploring the lunar and cislunar domains, and providing fundamental knowledge of our Sun’s influence on the near-Earth environment through IMAP and other research and technology endeavors. To learn about these APL’s mission and projects, https://civspace.jhuapl.edu/ and https://www.jhuapl.edu/OurWork/NationalSecuritySpace.
Do you have a passion to understand real-life, real-world tactical scenarios and applying this to a today’s and tomorrow’s tactical environment?
If so, we may have a position for you at APL.
This position is for an experienced Modeling and Simulation (M&S) Systems Engineering emphasizing space control capabilities to a multi-domain tactical environment. The applicant will be required to understand all domain (Air, Ground, Maritime, Space, and Cyber) capabilities from different aspect including the platforms, sensors, environment, engagement, and policy perspectives merging these together into a real-world modeling of various tactical scenarios.
As a Modeling and Simulation Systems Engineer, you will...
- Function as a technical lead for a multi-domain modeling and simulation development effort
- Assist Program Manager’(s), as the Chief Engineer / Technical Lead for their M&S projects.
- Represent the technical aspect of the programs to the Government, local APL development team, and industry partnerships
- Lead and guide a small agile team of junior to mid-level engineers in the programs development
- Interface with Title 10 (Defense) and Title 50 (Intelligence Agencies)
- Assist in the architecture development of modeling and simulation tactical seniors from a multi-domain perspective
- Learn and gain a deep understanding of space capacities and operations such as Tasking, Collection, Processing, Exploration and Dissemination (TCPED).
- Advise and guide the strategic direction of analysis capabilities for our group and the programs it supports.
You meet our minimum qualifications if you have...
- B.S. in computer science, software development, engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics.
- At least 6-10 years of experience in developing modeling developing using Matlab, C/C++, Python or similar language
- Hold an active Top Secret Clearance with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and if selected, be subject to a government security clearance investigation meeting all current government requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Have 5 – 10 years of practical, hands-on experience with Advanced Framework for Simulation, Integration and Modeling (AFSIM) software.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You will go above and beyond our minimum qualifications if you have...
- M.S. or Ph.D. in computer science, software development, engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics.
- Current TS/SCI and SAP clearances with polygraph.
- Practical, hands-on experience with Matlab, Python, C/C++, AGI/STK, Coast/FIST, JAVA, or other similar development and modeling tools
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*