This job has Expired
2023 Grad – PhD Algorithm Developer – Signal/Image Processing
Are you a researcher looking to develop advanced signal/image processing concepts that solve exciting problems of national importance?
If you are graduating with a PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering and want work on developing innovative algorithms for Radar and RF-based systems, we'd love to have you join our team!
We are a multi-disciplinary team of electrical engineers, computational scientists, software engineers, and domain experts that seek to improve maritime electromagnetic systems. We improve these systems through the innovation, research, development, and evaluation of algorithms and prototypes used by a variety of maritime-based electronic warfare (EW), radar, RF, and remote sensing systems. We promote an environment of collaboration, inclusivity, and growth and you’ll be joining a group of doers who are passionate about making a difference and providing high-quality solutions to our sponsor’s most pressing challenges.
As a member of our team you will…
- Primarily research and develop advanced signal or image processing algorithms for maritime electronic warfare, radar, remote sensing, or related RF systems.
- Assess performance of currently deployed algorithms and make recommendations on where further algorithm development might improve performance.
- Apply fresh perspectives to both old problems and new challenges by adapting past experience and the latest advances in signal processing to our customer’s unique problems.
- Take ownership of all aspects of the algorithm development life cycle, from data curation to deployment to performance benchmarking.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
• Have a PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related technical area.
• Have research or internship experience in advanced signal processing, image processing, communications engineering, or related approaches for extracting information from sensor data.
• Are interested in learning about maritime electronic warfare, radar, RF systems, and remote sensing systems.
• Have demonstrated experience with Matlab.
• Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills. Are comfortable writing and presenting about technical topics to peers, managers, and external customers.
• Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
• Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
• Have experience working with EW, radar, RF system, or remote sensing systems (including EO, IR, SAR systems).
• Have knowledge of RF communications and waveform modulation techniques.
• Have familiarity with Python, GNU Radio, and/or VHDL/Verliog.
• Are familiar with detection theory principles.
• Hold an active DoD Secret or higher clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*