132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Clinical Assistant Per Diem
- Job ID:
- 300 Boylston St., Newton, MA 02467
- Clinic Assistant
- Employment Type:
- Per diem
- Work Location:
- Onsite:Up to 1 day remote/wk
The Clinical Assistant is responsible for direct care provided to patients and for contributing to efficient operations in the patient care environment. Direct patient care activities include, but are not limited to, obtaining vital signs, drawing and collecting blood samples and assisting nursing/medical staff in performing invasive procedures, such as bone marrow aspirates. Indirect patient care activities include those that support clinic operations such as ordering and stocking clinical supplies and patient education materials, transporting patients and specimens as needed, and monitoring the environment of care.
This is a 100% on-site position.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
- Ensures proper patient identification and maintains patient safety, privacy, confidentiality and follows guidelines under HIPAA.
Obtains and records vital signs, pain screens, weights and heights accurately into Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
- Reports changes and/or abnormalities in vital signs; findings that are outside of defined parameters; and changes in patient’s conditions to the nursing/medical staff in a timely manner.
- Obtains specimens (urine, stool, sputum, etc.) and ensures accurate labeling in presence of patient. Instructs patients/family members in collecting specimens.
- Performs phlebotomy and EKG as applicable and is competent in the two patient identifier practice.
- May precept with specific training.
- Assists with disease center specific procedural needs as applicable.
- Transports patients, medical records, specimens, blood components, equipment and supplies in accordance with Institute policy.
- Ensures that all patients on schedule are accounted for and communicate with providers/patients and colleagues as to approximate wait times.
- May be required to assist with research specific patient data entry as required.
- Assures that all clinical areas have an adequate stock of medical supplies, equipment, and forms.
- Assist with medical record preparation.
- Properly cleans and maintains equipment and patient care environment.
- Maintains a working knowledge of current computer systems used in clinical areas.
- Understands and utilizes the telephone/pager systems, including text paging staff, call system and emergency response system.
- Provides proactive instruction and time expectations to patient and family.
- Communicates patient and family status difficulties and concerns to appropriate staff.
- Attends mandatory training and education sessions, completes mandatory annual competency assessments and follows Institute policies.
- Accepts additional responsibilities based on the changing needs of patients, families, staff and unit.
Clinical Assistant I
- High School Diploma or GED required; college coursework preferred.
- Clinical Qualification:
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program; or
- 1 year of experience in a Medical Assistant, Clinical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant or related clinical role (i.e. Emergency Medical Technician, Clinical role with military environment or Emergency department technician experience).
- In some cases, Nurse Students in an accredited Bachelor’s program with at least 2 completed clinical rotations may be considered.
- Phlebotomy certification may be preferred based on location (Yawkey 2, Satellites).
- Applies Institute policies and procedures to resolve routine issues. Works on problems of limited scope. Builds stable working relationships internally.
Clinical Assistant II
In addition to the minimum qualifications of a Clinical Assistant I:
- 2 years of equivalent experience in a medical setting.
- Developing technical expertise, applies Institute policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues. Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Builds productive internal/external working relationships.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Clinical Assistant I and II
-Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
-Ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
-Ability to function in a busy work setting with patients with complex needs.
-Demonstrates proficiency in technical skills.
-Demonstrates respectful and courteous behavior toward peers, co-workers, visitors and management.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*