Dean, School of Business
Western Colorado University seeks an experienced, collaborative, strategic, and inclusive leader to serve as the next Dean of the School of Business. Reporting to the Provost, the Dean provides academic, administrative, financial, and cultural leadership for the School of Business. This involves developing, cultivating, and managing collaborative partnerships with university leaders in academic and student affairs, business and industry leaders, academic and community-based organizations, professional associations, and the schoolâ€™s dedicated faculty and staff. The Dean provides leadership to support and advance the mission, vision, values, and strategic goals of the School of Business and the University. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of diverse populations, high integrity and ethical standards, and strong interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
Located in beautiful Gunnison, Colorado, Western strives to be a campus of inclusive excellence. Opening as a teaching college in 1911, the university has continuously evolved with and for the growing community it serves in order to offer wide-ranging areas of study and research opportunities and state of the art facilities. Westernâ€™s School of Business educates ~ 450 undergraduate students and ~70 graduate students each year. The School of Business offers applied bachelorâ€™s degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, and Economics, as well as minors and/or emphases in Business Analytics, Business Law, Energy Management, Finance, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Resort Management, and Sales. The School of Business also offers an innovative and unique Outdoor Industry MBA.
Immediate priorities for the new Dean will be to grow enrollment, foster new growth in fundraising while caring for current partners, and lead the School of Business to AACSB accreditation. The Dean will support goals set in the universityâ€™s strategic plan and lead the School of Business in implementing actions to achieve those goals.
The Dean must
- be a proven fundraiser who will engage with donors, alumni, and community leaders in development activities. Development activities will strengthen the fiscal, social, environmental, and intellectual stewardship of the School of Business;
- ensure a growing and sustainable student enrollment in the School of Business through effective strategy;
- lead and encourage reflection, assessment, and openness to change - including a roadmap to and funding strategy for AACSB accreditation.
- be passionate about and committed to a climate of diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- support an infrastructure that is focused on student enrollment, retention, completion, and post-graduate success for traditional and non-traditional students;
- recruit and mentor faculty/staff and build and nurture relationships with faculty/staff; promoting faculty innovation and professional activities that improve student learning and contribute to the reputation and visibility of the School of Business;
- engage in effective oral, print, digital, and social media storytelling in collaboration with Marketing, Alumni, Development, Admissions and Orientation staff to tell the unique â€œstoryâ€ of the School of Business;
- collaboratively develop a strategic plan for the School of Business that aligns with campus and state strategic plans; and,
- implement decisions with an understanding of the challenging demographic trends facing higher education, particularly for a rural institution.
Minimum Qualifications: The successful candidate will be a collaborative and transformational leader who holds a terminal degree (E.g. Ph.D., DBA, JD); candidates with an MBA and significant leadership experience outside of academia will be considered if they demonstrate an understanding of the future of business higher education.
In addition, candidates must have
- demonstrated experience in fundraising and development;
- experience building and sustaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- a successful record of achievement of strategic goals through shared vision and change management for an organization, department, school, or university;
- demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) involving students, faculty, staff, and/or programs.
- career involvement in fiscal planning, budgeting, and personnel management;
- knowledge of state and national trends in higher education and business;
- good communication and interpersonal, leadership and motivational skills; and
- experiences and achievements which exemplify Westernâ€™s values of integrity, inclusivity, stewardship, courage and growth;
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- background in student recruitment, retention, and completion.
- demonstrated experience with AACSB accreditation standards.
- significant academic leadership experience; this may include experience at the level of Department Chair, Associate Dean, Dean, or above.
- a record of commitment to academic program development.
Additional Application Information
Compensation:Â The annual salary range is $155,000-$170,000 (depending on experience and qualifications) and is FLSA exempt. Position is eligible for an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance plans with low co-pays and low out of pocket maximums, a shared contribution retirement plan and, following one year of employment, tuition benefits. Additional benefits of employment include four weeks of paid vacation with an additional eleven paid state holidays.
Application Procedure:Â Apply online at www.Western.edu/jobs. Required materials for the online application include (1) a cover letter addressing the qualifications described above; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) a reference list containing a minimum of three references (please include each referenceâ€™s name, email address, phone number, and relationship to you); (4) copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire); and (5) a statement describing professional experiences that demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to supporting the needs of diverse communities.
Contact Dr. Jennifer DeBoer, Assistant Professor in the School of Business with position-specific questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin October 1 and will continue until a successful candidate is hired.
Additional Information on Western and Gunnison/Crested Butte
Western Colorado University is a public institution with an enrollment of ~3,700 graduate and undergraduate students, the majority of which reside on the campus and in the community. With average class sizes of 17 students, faculty and staff share a strong commitment to inclusivity and personalized, immersive education. They are student-oriented, collegial, energetic, and engaged in the campus and community. Western is committed to continual growth in regard to diversity, equity, and inclusivity and promotes participation in DEI initiatives from students, faculty, staff, and the community. Please see our diversity statement, and our DEI Committee charge. The University is located in Gunnison, Colorado, a rural community 200 miles southwest of Denver and the gateway to Crested Butte, a world class ski community. K-12 students are served by the award-winning Gunnison Watershed School District. Both communities value the arts, quality of life, community-based wrap around services for children and adults, and continued personal growth and learning opportunities. At an elevation of 7,700 feet in the southern Rocky Mountains, the Gunnison Valley provides exceptional year-round outdoor recreational and cultural opportunities including summer arts and music festivals, mountain biking, skiing, kayak/rafting, rock climbing, hiking and campingâ€¦ all within minutes of the campus. Visit http://www.western.edu to learn more about the university.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/vets.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*