This job has Expired
Academic Counselor, CHOICES Program - Massasoit Community College
The CHOICES program is a student support program primarily focusing on the unique needs of students who are also caring for children; about 90% of CHOICES students are parents and/or caregivers. The program's goal is to improve the retention, transfer, and graduation rates of students through holistic, wraparound student support services. Services include case-managed academic and career advising, educational workshops on topics specific to student parents and caregivers, and referrals to on-campus and community resources. Program activities include opportunities for students to develop their academic and leadership skills, explore career interests, and connect with other students managing family responsibilities while pursuing a college degree. The program utilizes a web-based early-alert system to track student progress and record advising and other program interactions. The CHOICES program is part of Massasoit's Student Success Team.
The Academic Counselor holistically supports and guides program participants through their experiences at the college. This position is responsible for researching and implementing best advising practices; collecting and analyzing student success data; program reporting; planning, leading and evaluating individual and group advising, career or transfer events and enrichment activities to ensure every program participant is provided with individualized support and with proactive career, academic, and transfer counseling. The Academic Counselor will collaborate with other advising programs and offices.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conducts academic and career advising, career assessments, and transfer advising; provides information regarding degree and transfer requirements; and monitors academic progress of CHOICES students;
- Screens, interviews, evaluates, and processes incoming CHOICES students;
- Works with students to develop academic plans of study and advises students on their academic plan, course selection/sequencing, curriculum/concentration selection and changes, and transition issues;
- Assists students in registering, adding, or withdrawing from courses;
- Assists students in obtaining developmental and tutorial assistance;
- Assigns academic advisors and notifies students/faculty of advisor assignments;
- Participates in new student orientations;
- Coordinates activities with other programs and refers students to other services as appropriate;
- Attends meetings/events, serves on committees, and makes presentations;
- Interacts with various agencies/individuals, including community groups, outside agencies, and other individuals to coordinate activities, review status of work, and exchange information;
- Conducts academic informational sessions and workshops, including leadership, social, and educational programming;
- Collects, organizes, and disseminates statistical data and maintains and updates student files in accordance with college and programmatic reporting requirements;
- Maintains professional knowledge in applicable areas, researches new trends, and advances in the profession;
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with college faculty and staff;
- Focuses on the Commonwealth's Equity Agenda by applying related best practices throughout all job functions;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master's degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or closely related field; with three (3) years experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advisement, career development, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated experience analyzing, interpreting, and utilizing data;
- Demonstrated experience building collaborative relationships;
- Demonstrated experience with EAB Navigate/GradesFirst platforms;
- Strong communication skills.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Candidates for employment should be aware that all Community College students, faculty, and staff are required to be fully vaccinated. Accordingly, initial employment is dependent upon receipt and verification of full vaccination status records; details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the hire and onboarding process.
Position Status: Full-time, benefited Massachusetts Community College Council (MCCC) union position of Academic Counselor. For classification specification details please follow this link: https://www.mass.edu/forfacstaff/classificationspecs/home.asp
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. This position may be eligible for telework in accordance in with the College's telework policy.
Salary: $58,319 - $67,081 annually, Grade 5. Salary is commensurate with education, experience and based on the MCCC Classification Study.
Worksite: This position is primarily located on Massasoit's Brockton campus, with limited in-person duties at other college locations.
Deadline to Apply: December 18, 2022
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*