132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
This job has Expired
Small Business Advisor/Instructor
The SBDC is the largest network of business advisors in the state, providing technical assistance to more small business and underrepresented businesses than any other organization in the state. Our advising is free and confidential, and we pride ourselves in being of service to all of our communities in the state of Oregon. We need your help to continue to deliver these amazing services to our small business communities.
The Small Business Advisor/Instructor provides leadership, client advising and instruction to existing and prospective small business owners in the Columbia Gorge region. The Small Business Advisor/Instructor will provide one-on-one business advising to small businesses, and create and/or deliver training courses based on experience and interest. The position can offer remote and hybrid work hours, and continuous opportunity for professional development. We have a strong culture of being of service and lifetime learners. We work well independently but have a strong team both locally and statewide to support and challenge.
There is tremendous amount of flexibility in this position in regards to when we work, the tasks we take on, and the skills we develop and put into service. You will have the opportunity to focus on what you are interested in or passionate about in business development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Instruct and coach beginning enterprises whose knowledge of the business arena may be in the very early stages of development.
- Work with established businesses in addressing their changing business management needs.
- Teach a variety of courses based on interest and skill set, but not limited to: marketing, record keeping, personnel management, financial management, business planning, laws and legislation affecting business. These courses may be taught in CGCC classrooms, at partner locations or online.
- Develop and revise training curriculum, marketing materials and business assistance tools, as needed.
- Use web based database to track and record client counseling activities and hours, and submit written reports upon request.
- Requires limited travel throughout the Mid-Columbia region.
- Maintain a high degree of client confidentiality and follow policies and procedures of the Oregon Small Business Development Center Network.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Be a SBDC ambassador!
- Work with the director and advisory committee to update CGCC SBDC strategic plan.
- Work with funding partners and college personnel to provide information for tracking client and program success.
- Work closely with other instructors, counselors and staff members to serve SBDC clients
- Obtain current market information.
- Maintain favorable relationships with the college and the community.
- Act as liaison between local government agencies or people regulating, assisting or affecting business management and operations in the Mid-Columbia region.
We need someone with small business experience. Having started or run your own small business is important and provides some of the credibility needed to advise other small businesses. Experience in managing employees is also a plus. Must have the ability to provide advice to small business entrepreneurs and have the ability to teach adult learners.
A business degree is great, so is a degree in accounting, education, communications, or financial management. Having some academic learning around business, advising, or instructing is certainly a plus, but many successful businesses are run by people without degrees. Although it certainly makes for a strong application, we donâ€™t require a degree for this position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Able to work in a diverse team and a diversity of clients.
- Strives to create and support an inclusive work environment that is committed to providing equitable services to all of our clients.
- Works well without close supervision.
- Spanish bilingual speaker a plus but not required
- Financial statement comprehension is definitely required!
- Marketing principles
- Business plan development
- Demonstrates proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and databases.
- Follows through to completion of assigned tasks.
- Possesses problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Possesses good communication skills (writing, spelling, listening, and speaking).
- Demonstrates knowledge and good judgment in matters of college policy and procedures.
- Dresses and maintains self in a professional manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate computers, objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Studies have shown that women and people of color may be less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications for this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.
Open until filled
Part-time position working up to 20 hours a week
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*