Senior Manager, New Patient Operations
- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk
Reporting to the Director of New Patient Operations the Senior Manager of New Patient Operations is responsible for leading, monitoring and setting the operational priorities for the disease center new patient teams. They will build and foster an environment that is inclusive, supportive, and enables their team to provide the best possible patient experience. They will ensure that the patient experience strategy is aligned with new patient employee efforts. They will establish short term and long-term New Patient Operations goals that are aligned with the institute strategic goals. They will advance new patient operations objectives, in collaboration with the leadership team, and in alignment with the vision and mission of the organization.
The Senior Manager will collaborate with leaders in the Welcome Center, Disease Center Scheduling, and Clinic Operations on Clinical Operations initiatives and processes that cross multiple areas. The position requires interpersonal, facilitation and relationship management skills. Also required are exceptional organizational skills, including effectively developing internal work and communication processes and systems to facilitate effective collaboration across Dana-Farber.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
- In conjunction with the Director of New Patient Operations, plans and implements the New Patient Operations goals, objectives, projects, personnel, and resources. Implements the approved business plan that identifies strategies, objectives and expected outcome for scheduling.
- Identifies operation workflow opportunities and implements improvements.
- Responsible for communication to leadership on overall program development progress, successes, and areas for improvement or adjustment.
- Optimizes and flex resource allocation to account for disease center demands to ensure optimal patient experience.
- Reviews and identify trends within patient survey data related to disease center scheduling. Develop any necessary process improvement plans associated with the feedback and work with Supervisors/Managers to implement changes.
- Provides transparency associated with staffing, challenges, and scheduling process to the disease center leadership team.
- Communicates scheduling related updates to the Clinical Directors of each disease group. Maintains open lines of communication when issues arise
- Partners with the Patient and Family Relations team to work through patient complaints or challenges that are scheduling related. They will serve as the leadership contact for the department and will reach to patients as needed
- Identifies gaps in process and implements new workflows with the Supervisors/Managers
- Assists New Patient Scheduling Operations leadership with the implementation of policies, programs, and procedures.
- Assess operational performance, staff morale and patient satisfaction. Identifies opportunities for improvement. Understands at a fundamental level how to complete the tasks required by those under their management and provides support as needed
- Maintains understanding of and continually works to refine handoffs between Welcome Center, New Patient Ops/Direct Connect, and Scheduling to optimize the patient experience and minimize disruption in transitions throughout the patient lifecycle
- Monitors scheduling and call compliance using KPIs and work the Supervisors/Managers to address areas needing improvement. Develop scheduling related reports within Epic and Tableau to monitor compliance to scheduling guidelines.
- Implements scheduling related information systems. Provides feedback regarding systems and process changes and improvements. Convert technical information into user-friendly documentation and instruction using a variety of educational methodologies and tools.
- Supports scheduling as needed by teams and provide coverage for Supervisors/Managers/Director as needed.
- Acts as point of contact for coverage and escalation of issues when leadership is out of office
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Partners with Director to create position control requests to ensure appropriate staffing in all groups. Submits requests and all necessary documentation.
- Reviews department overtime on a monthly basis. Identifies trends and creates plan to address spikes in hours
- Recruits, Develops, and Coaches Supervisor/Manager level staff. Sets goals and evaluates performance on an annual basis. Provides direction, coaching, support, and training to ensure that individual and department goals are met
- Provides feedback to Supervisors/Managers through weekly 1:1 meeting, bi-weekly Supervisors/Manager meetings and annual performance evaluations
- Provides HR management in the areas of hiring, corrective action, training, and evaluation of employees
- Develops employees through on-going coaching, counseling, and mentoring. Administers corrective action if appropriate.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree in health administration or related field strongly preferred.
- 7 years related healthcare or customer service experience with at least 3 years in a leadership position focused on the patient experience required.
- Experience with Epic-Cadence.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Time Management: Exceptional organizational skills and ability to organize time and priorities effectively, asking for direction when appropriate. Flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures
- Communications skills: Exceptional skills for a varied workforce that includes MD’s RN’s, NP, PA, Fellows, and administrative staff
- Quality Assurance: Ability to effectively lead day-to-day operations, establish and maintain policies and procedures, monitor service statistics, and ensure effective coordination with the training programs. Ability to engender these skills among staff. Ability to identify issues and improvement projects within the department
- Personnel Management: Ability to skillfully handle issues of sensitive nature with respect to confidentiality, abiding by institutional guidelines. Ability to recruit, train and supervise staff and to ensure that performance evaluations, payroll, employee changes and other HR transactions are completed in an accurate and timely manner. Ability to provide support, direction, and development to staff
- Leadership: Demonstrates integrity. Ability to communicate effectively, sell ideas, and take ownership and responsibility for activities. Possesses strong change management skills and the ability to lead a team. Demonstrated track record as an effective leader with a collaborative working style. Ability to lead and influence consensus effectively, cooperatively, and collaboratively
- Discretion and Confidentiality: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff
- Analytical Skills: Ability to conduct operational analysis and understand statistical report.
- Critical Thinking/Decision Making: Ability to appropriately evaluate all aspects of a situation and to independently make appropriate and timely decisions
- Information Systems/Technology Skills: Exceptional computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office (operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, spreadsheet), Customer Relationship Manager (CRM), Epic.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: 4 to 5 direct and 30 to 45 indirect reports
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*