Smart Sensor System Developer
Are you passionate about crafting smart systems that leverage the latest technologies from edge computing to cloud analytics?
Are you curious how cyber and physical data can provide real-time insight into world around us?
Are you excited to develop solutions that help U.S. civilian, intelligence, and military operators excel in their missions?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Smart Sensor System Developer interested in developing innovative situational awareness capabilities spanning the physical and cyber domains. We seek a versatile individual who is comfortable developing software across a wide range of computing platforms (from the edge to the cloud). An ideal candidate would have familiarity with machine learning methods suitable for each of these environments. Our group strives to provide an innovative, collaborative, and rewarding work environment. We welcome enthusiastic and intellectually-curious candidates to join us in design and execution of projects that sustain our sponsor’s information advantage.
As a Smart Sensor System Developer...
- Lead and contribute to the planning, developing and testing of software products that enable autonomous sensing and analysis functions.
- Develop novel data workflows from sensor data exfiltration to user interfaces in order to address the operational needs of our sponsors.
- Implement novel analytics that enhance physical and cyber-physical domain awareness and anomaly detection for a variety of sponsor environments.
- Assist in tailoring and fulfilling quality processes to meet the needs of each project's sponsor.
- Mentor junior software engineers in development approaches and evaluation methods.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Applied Physics, or a closely-related field.
- Have at least 4 years of relevant experience in prototype system development including familiarity with requirements definition, design reviews, test design and planning, and documentation.
- Are proficient designing and developing Python, C, C++.
- Have experience training and implementing machine-learning data analytics pipelines for detection, classification, and identification tasks including frameworks such as TensorRT, Pytorch, or MXNet.
- Posses excellent verbal communication and writing skills.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a Master’s or PhD in a relevant field.
- Have at least 8 years of related work experience, with experience generating proposals, mentoring, and leading teams.
- Have experience designining, integrating, and maintaining edge computing systems, such as microcontroller-based (e.g. Arduino, ESP-32) or resource-constrained Linux (e.g. Raspberry Pi, NVIDIA Jetson) systems.
- Have experience designing, integrating, and administering network computing architectures, particularly for high-performance GPU-based operations.
- Have developed software systems that ensure autonomous functionality (e.g. automatic recovery from failure, particularly for embedded and edge compute systems).
- Have experience with multiple communications protocols and server/client frameworks.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*