2023 Internship – Ground Software Engineer – Ground Applications Group
Do you love to study Computer Science and find ways to apply it in space?
Do you want to learn how to enable space missions through stellar software engineering solutions?
If you are pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, UX Design/Development, or a similar major and want to work in an exciting and collaborative environment that focuses on solving challenging technical space mission needs, we'd love to have you join our team.
The Ground Applications Group is seeking an intern to join our team to develop sector-enabling tools that allow the Space Exploration Sector and its partners to modernize processes and operations supporting space mission needs.
As a member of our team...
- You will contribute to the development of software tools that empower SES and other APL sectors to support and modernize mission processes.
- You will work with a team that shares core values of collaboration, excellence, communication, and a love of space.
- You will be exposed to modern software development practices in areas such as the Agile Scrum methodology, DevOps, and user experience design and development.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are a rising Junior or Senior pursuing Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, UX Design/Development, or similar degrees.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Are fluent in Java or web application development, working with an IDE (Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc), and have prior software development experience.
- Have a passion for contributing to complex software solutions in the space domain.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- To access APL’s facilities and networks, U.S. Citizenship is required, subject to applicable laws
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have software testing experience.
- Have experience working with s (e.g., Docker)
- Have Agile Scrum experience.
- Have experience working with modern web application frameworks (particularly Angular).
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*