Are you passionate about translating your academic career into creating solutions to some of our nation's most pressing challenges?
Are you searching for engaging, impactful work and personal growth?
Do you value working in a creative and collaborative environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team!
In the Decision Systems Group (QAX) we strive to make "Critical Contributions to Critical Challenges", positively impacting national security. During the COVID-19 pandemic this has meant leaning into the public and federal pandemic response: owning the data engineering efforts behind the Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Dashboard and Coronavirus Resource Center, and driving analysis and engineering efforts that influence decisions at the highest levels of government. Our work has been recognized by Time Magazine as one of the "Best Inventions of 2020", and our team was named Fast Company's 2021 Innovative Team of the Year. Beyond the pandemic we make impactful contributions to problems in health and bio-security, homeland protection, cyber security, and military special operations.
We are problem solvers committed to making a difference who are looking for teammates who will bring their passion and dedication to our work. In QAX, as a Systems Engineer, you will help design, develop, and deploy systems to address complex problems and enable decision making. Ideally you are a systems thinker who takes initiative in solving problems based on your solid mathematical and engineering foundations. If you are willing to collaborate and grow as part of a diverse team of data scientists and engineers, our group may be a place for you to thrive.
As a Systems Engineer on our team you will...
- Participate in engineering and prototyping efforts to develop systems concepts of operations, define systems architectures, analyze alternatives, refine requirements, and evaluate potential solutions.
- Create, adapt, and evaluate models and methodologies for sponsor facing development efforts.
- Help design and operationalize analytic pipelines, from sensors to decision making.
- Engage sponsors to understand their challenges, utilize the systems engineering approach to define possible solutions, and develop solutions to maximize operational impact.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Possess a B.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area and have least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Have training and experience with MBSE as applied to complex systems.
- Are experienced with cross-disciplinary science and engineering teams.
- Are self-motivated and self-directed, with a strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to teach those around you.
- Possess outstanding written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and a proficiency at relationship building.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess an advanced degree (e.g. MS, DEng, PhD) in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area with proven experience.
- Are experienced with Digital Engineering techniques and technologies.
- Have familiarity with Agile development and DevSecOps best practices.
- Have experience with development, integration, and testing of health and/or national security systems.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*