This job has Expired
2023 Internship - Remote Sensing, Modeling & Simulation and Analysis Intern
In the Oceanic, Atmospheric and Remote Sensing Sciences Group at APL, we strive to transform fundamental research into technical innovations that significantly impact how navy ships interact with and operate in the marine environment.
Do you enjoy working on challenging projects that can span a wide range of remote sensing types and include end-to-end signature modeling, signal processing, algorithm development, and the analysis and interpretation of experimental data? †If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our group of research scientists at APL. You'll be joining a hardworking team of physicists and engineers who have critical roles in the implementation and application of physics-based models, systems analysis and modeling, analysis of remote sensing data, algorithm development and implementation, field test planning and execution, and completion of technology capability assessments in support of critical challenges for programs of national interest in the maritime domain. We have diverse technical backgrounds involved in all aspects of in-situ and remote sensing of oceanic and atmospheric phenomena and are passionate about applying our capabilities to answer current and future problems of national importance. Our team values technical and personal growth and we cultivate an environment of collaboration that focusses on solid technical work, delivering accurate results, and making impactful recommendations to our sponsors.
As an intern in our group, your assignments will be tailored to your capabilities and interests, and will also become more challenging based on your technical growth and accomplishments. Your primary responsibilities may include,
- Analysis of remote sensing data using Matlab and Python signal processing tools.
- Running advanced physics models and fluid dynamics simulations.
- Analysis of model and simulation output data.
- Contributing to laboratory and full-scale experiments including analysis of the collected data.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are in a Bachelors, Masters or PhD program in physics, engineering, applied mathematics or related field.
- Have computer programming skills applicable to scientific analysis (e.g., MATLAB, Python, Fortran or equivalent).
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Note: When prompted to upload attachments, please include a copy of your college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
- Are able to obtain an Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. †All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
Youíll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have experience analyzing experimental data.
- Have an interest and aptitude in developing and using oceanographic, atmospheric, electro-optical, radar and/or LIDAR modeling and simulation tools.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationís most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLís campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyoneís voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*