132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
This job has Expired
Working TitleResearch Technician
Anticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experience ($33,000 - $40,250)
Work Schedule7:00am - 4:00pm / Monday-Friday (additional work hours may be required especially during planting, irrigation and harvest seasons, research projects or weather may alter work schedule)
Job LocationClayton, NC
DepartmentCentral Crops Research Station
About the Department
Essential Job Duties
Primary duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting with all tasks related to the establishment, maintenance, and disposition of the field crops, vegetables, fruit, tobacco and animal specimens.
- Applying treatments to research subjects according to protocol including pesticides, fertilizers and irrigation.
- Operating a wide variety of agriculture equipment to prepare fields, apply treatments and harvest crops.
- Assisting research personnel with plot layout, implementation of treatments, and collection and recording of data.
- Hand planting and harvesting along with assisting research personnel in the seed processing and swine facility.
- Working with various types of irrigation equipment including laying solid set pipe and setting up drip irrigation.
- Assisting with maintenance of equipment, grounds, buildings, field plots and other tasks.
The validity of research test depends upon the quality of work in the Research technician position. This position is assigned to the Horticulture unit in addition they will provide support for all areas of the research station.
- Assist project staff on research programs in field crops, horticulture, tobacco, forages, small grains and swine research.
- Assist with maintenance and repair of the entire research station as needed. May be asked to assist with Division of Research Stations, other research stations or emergency activities across the state as need arises.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Other Required Qualifications
- Knowledge of agricultural practices related to crop production.
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs. on a routine basis, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Ability to operate farm machinery accurately and safely making required adjustments in the field.
- Ability to identify minor issues and make repairs with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written form.
- Ability to read and follow pesticide labels and research protocols.
- Ability to read and understand standard operating procedures, collect and record data accurately.
- Ability to work effectively independently or in a team environment.
- Four year degree and two years of agricultural experience or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of agricultural practices related to soil fertility, plant nutrition crop and livestock production.
- Experience in agriculture and/or swine production and agricultural research.
- Experience operating and adjusting farm equipment including calibration.
- Knowledge of how to and experience figuring acreage and calculating application rates.
- Experience utilizing precision agriculture equipment.
Required License or Certification
- Valid NC Drivers License or ability to obtain within 60 days of start.
- Public Pesticide Applicators License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- NCDA forklift license or obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Fumigation applicator certification obtained within one year of start.
Valid NC Driver's License requiredYes
Commercial Driver's License Required?No
Job Open Date03/09/2022
Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)11/15/2022
Notice to Applicants
Position Classification Band TitleResearch Technician
Position Classification Band LevelJourney
Position Classification Salary Range$31,200 - $66,122
Salary Grade EquivalencyGN06
Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00
Appointment12 Month Recurring
Mandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse Weather
Mandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal Emergencies
Time Limited PositionNo
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?No
Department Id115003 - Central Crops Research Station
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*