Apply now Job no:530605
Work type:Classified Staff
Department: Institute for Fundamental Science
Classification: Grants/Contracts Technician
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $18.12 - $27.31 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes November 30, 2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete application that includes an online application, a cover letter, and a resume stating your interest and how you meet the qualifications and competencies for the position.
Department Summary: The Institute for Fundamental Science is the home of the University of Oregon for research whose primary aim is to understand, explore, and extend the fundamental laws of nature, with an emphasis on the consequences of observable phenomena. The IFS brings together the UO’s investigations in experimental and theoretical high-energy particle physics, astrophysics and astronomy, and is complemented by a variety of inquiries into other foundational topics.
IFS has over 30 faculty members and approximately 60 other researchers, including research staff, postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students. Several IFS personnel are stationed at other research laboratories, including the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PPNL). We have an administrative structure that provides accounting, purchasing, personnel, PI support, and space management. Much of IFS’s research is funded by large federal grants. IFS is the fifth largest research Institute/Center at UO ranked by external funding received. More information about IFS may be found by visiting the institute's website at: http://ifs.uoregon.edu.
The position manages operations for the Institute for Fundamental Science as the sole administrative assistant for the IFS Director, Leadership team, Members, and affiliated researchers. The Grants/Contracts Technician has broad latitude and authority to accomplish goals and objectives set by IFS leadership and must have high-functioning organizational skills, attention to detail, adherence to confidentiality, and discretion. This position works effectively both independently and collaboratively with staff, faculty, and various levels of the organization to identify and implement strategic solutions. This position is responsible for providing the Director and Leadership team with assessments of emerging operational problems or concerns and work closely.
• 12 quarter hours (8 semester hours) of accounting courses AND two years of experience which included preparing financial reports; making annual or biennial closing entries; interpreting financial data and advising administrators; OR
• Associates Degree in Accounting, OR
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Transcripts must be submitted for all required and/or related courses. All courses must be from accredited colleges, universities, or private vocational schools.
• Proficiency with software and technology, including accounting and HR systems, grant submission systems, word processing, and spreadsheets.
• Effective communication skills; attention to detail.
• Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving, project management, and time management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, administrators, and students with diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and meet timelines during periods of high demand.
• Experience with institutional grants management systems, such as compliance, budgets, etc.
• Knowledge and experience with grant and budget preparation for submission to the U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Department of Defense, the National Science Foundation as well as private foundations including the Simons Foundation, M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust.
• Prior employment in the field of higher education administration.
• Experience with budget planning, contracting and purchasing, and personnel reviews.
•.Experience with travel coordination.
• Experience with event planning and management.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
University of Oregon students and employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. For additional information see: https://hr.uoregon.edu/uo-covid-19-vaccination-requirement-employee-process .
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits .
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination .
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://clery.uoregon.edu/annual-campus-security-and-fire-safety-report .
Advertised:Nov 4, 2022 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close:Nov 30, 2022 Pacific Standard Time
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*