Functional Title:Internal Auditor
Category Status:33-Exempt Regular
Applicant Search Category:Staff
University Authorized FTE:1.00
Unit:USMO-All University System of Maryland Office Units
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
- Primary responsibility is completing assigned operational and financial audits pertaining to all aspects of USM activities. May apply to specialty or consulting engagements.
- Ascertains whether university organizational units are performing their planning, accounting, custodial, or control activities in a manner consistent with university objectives and high standards of administrative practice, as well as in compliance with management’s instructions, applicable policy statements, and procedures.
- Determines the records or activities to be analyzed, the extent of tests to be applied, and the working papers to be prepared.
- Performs audits in accord with approved audit programs in a manner consistent with IIA’s International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Recommends methods of obtaining, analyzing, and evaluating evidentiary data as the basis of an informed, objective opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of control and efficiency of the activities under review.
- Suggests methods of implementing new or revised procedures to produce required data, to provide effective internal control, and to improve audit trails.
- Audits new accounting/operating systems.
- Evaluates the ability of accounting and reporting systems to generate reliable and timely data.
- Analyzes cost accounting systems, specific cost representations, and functions they reflect to determine the basis for cost setting under various types of contracts.
- Examines earnings, operating costs, and reserves created for unpaid liabilities; and evaluate budgeting, accounting, procurement, contract records, controls, and procedures.
- Prepares working papers in good form to record and summarize data on the assigned audit.
- Discusses observed conditions with operating personnel to verify facts and obtain explanations for these conditions. Applies automated auditing techniques when reviewing data that is processed and maintained via computerized systems.
- Prepares reports in compliance with departmental standards.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university. Candidate for a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or CPA certification.
- 3 years of professional full-time audit experience, preferably with a large public accounting firm, or a government or educational audit organization.
- Proficiency in technical writing.
- Proficient in selecting and administering appropriate accounting and auditing theories, principles, techniques, and practices.
- Capable of applying applicable precedents and understanding auditing trends, developments, procedures, and legislation controlling the activity or function audited.
- Ability to clearly, concisely, and effectively prepare and present both written and oral reports.
- Able to gain the cooperation of and cooperate with others and to visualize the effects of recommended changes.
- Must possess tact, persuasiveness, sound judgment, and integrity.
- CIA or CPA certification.
- Professional experience with a large public accounting firm or a government or educational audit organization.
Open Until FilledYes
Best Consideration Date11/25/2022
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*