132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Location: Portland, Oregon
Internal Number: 19984
Overview: The Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research (CEDAR) center is a collaborative institution within the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute. The Knight Cancer Institute, known as one of the pioneers in personalized cancer medicine, is an international leader in research and cancer treatment. At CEDAR our mission is to detect and stop lethal cancers at the earliest stage because early detection saves lives. This is an ambitious goal, one that requires novelty, creativity, and innovation. We are comprised of biologists, chemists, biomedical engineers, computationalists, and clinicians conducting groundbreaking translational cancer research to help people maintain a high quality of life and reduce cancer mortality, to create a global early detection community, and to have a positive impact on the Oregon economy.
Our Commitment to Diversity: CEDAR is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. We are dedicated to promoting inclusion and multiculturalism by having outstanding researchers of diverse backgrounds work together on multiple projects. We encourage high-risk, high-reward research projects because defeating cancer requires out-of-the-box thinking and new perspectives. Our research is milestone driven to ensure that each project is fulfilling its stated goals. We expect that applicants will not possess all the skills required for this role and thus, encourage candidates to apply irrespective of previous expertise.
Every Knight Cancer employee is expected to embody our guiding principles:
- We act BOLDLY--Breakthroughs require pushing the boundaries of science, exploring new frontiers, and thinking differently
- We SUPPORT each other--Respect leads to trust, which leads to excellence
- We work as a CONNECTED team--We must leverage our collective brain power to conquer cancer because no one individual can do it alone
Function/Duties of Position
CEDAR is currently seeking applicants to fill a single postdoctoral position in the area of cancer epigenomics. CEDAR offers a unique opportunity for outstanding, driven, and creative postdoctoral fellows to perform cutting edge and high-risk research, ranging from understanding basic cancer biology to developing novel technologies to aid detection.
In this role you will work closely with Dr. Joshua Saldivar and others, and lead projects centered on intrinsic cellular processes, such as DNA replication, that destabilize the epigenome of pre-malignant cells allowing cell state transitions, cell plasticity, and intratumor heterogeneity. You will be responsible for performing single-cell omics, high-content confocal imaging, gene-editing, and basic molecular/cellular biology approaches, and will work as part of a dynamic team of bench and computational scientists.
- Perform experiments utilizing appropriate lab or computational techniques with proficiency, evaluate results, and determine the next steps to complete project and present data. Think independently and solve problems. Stay on top of scientific literature and build skills to maximize project potential.
- Prepare manuscripts, and present research findings as abstracts or oral presentations. Travel may be required.
- Attend weekly group meetings and 1:1 meetings to: 1) Present data and interpretation of results; 2) Troubleshoot research results; 3) suggest next steps.
- Attend research-related meetings. These could include but are not limited to: team meeting, seminars, and journal clubs.
- M.D., M.D./Ph.D., or Ph.D.
- Minimum of 3 years as a graduate student
- Specialty: Molecular/Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Computational Biology
- Excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems
- Passion for science and inquiry
- Ability to synthesize one's own results and others to formulate hypotheses
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships
- Experience with ChIP-seq and RNA-seq is preferred
- Experience with molecular biology techniques: sequencing, PCR, primer design, cell culture, transfections, transductions, Western blots, cloning, CRISPR gene editing, and flow cytometry
- Experience with data analysis
Apply online. Please be sure to upload a Cover Letter and Resume/CV.
Effective Oct. 18, 2021, all OHSU employees were required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they had an approved medical or religious exception. If you are hired by OHSU, you will need to provide proof of vaccination (or approved exception) within 10 days of starting work.
#linkedin #indeed #knightpostdocjobs
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*