This job has Expired
Electronic Materials & Devices Department Head
CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the i nternal application process . Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
CURRENT PENN STATE STUDENT (not employed previously at the university) and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process . Please do not apply here, apply internally through Workday.
If you are NOT a current employee or student, please click “Apply” and complete the application process for external applicants .
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
We are searching for a Department Head for the Electronic Materials and Devices Department (EMDD) of the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University. This position reports to the Electro-Optics and Electronics Division Head and will be based at either the Freeport, PA (near Pittsburgh, PA) location or the State College, PA location with periodic travel required between the two facilities. Your mission will be to push the limits of electronic materials and devices in the development and manufacturing of advanced systems for military and intelligence community applications. This position may be filled as either a Research and Development Engineer or a non-tenure Research Faculty.
- Provide organizational leadership to the Electronic Materials and Devices Department, including employee management, recruitment, development, technical direction, and retention
- Lead the development of proposals and business development activities for the department
- Working with the EOE Division Head, provide financial management of department technical projects and operations
- Serve as a principal investigator and project manager on defense-sponsored programs, leveraging subject matter expertise in the area of electronic materials, devices, components and systems, optical materials, piezoelectric materials, materials and electrical characterization and 3D printed electronics to ensure successful programs
- Execute projects involving the design and development of prototype electronic devices, sensors and detectors for military and intelligence community applications
- Perform basic/applied research on electronic materials, processes, devices/components and characterization, working closely with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, industry, and government stakeholders to solve problems and develop solutions supporting military and intelligence community customers
- Plan, organize, and supervise the work of staff scientists, engineers, technicians, PhD & postdoctoral researchers, and undergraduate interns.
- Communicate results in appropriate industry and defense settings
- Manage all aspects of materials synthesis, process and characterization research laboratories across multiple facilities and ensure the highest level of safety for these laboratories
- Develop and maintain long-term professional relationships with relevant manufacturers and system integrators, as well as with government sponsors, to ensure projects meet customer requirements and are consistent with ARL’s position of trust and contribute to the strategic mission of the EOE Division
Additional responsibilities for higher level position include:
- Build interdisciplinary teams across the EOE Division, ARL, the Penn State Research Community, R&D laboratories, the defense industry and commercial laboratories and pursue higher-level research funding opportunities and initiatives
- Plan and direct major research projects that have substantial impact, extend knowledge and understanding across diverse technologies
- Coordinate research and development activities among disciplines involving exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection of problems for investigation, and development of novel concepts and approaches
- Participate and contribute to ARL's strategic plan
- Mentor assigned staff in the development of technical, project, and business development skills
This position will be filled as a level 3, 4, or 5 depending upon the successful candidate’s education and experience. Typically requires a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline plus five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher level jobs.
Required skills/experience areas include:
- A Master’s Degree in a related field such as Materials Science, Engineering Science and Mechanics, Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering and a minimum of five years of experience managing electronic materials, device development, characterization or related projects
- Demonstrated success leading a team of engineers/scientists
- Demonstrated success in program development, proposal writing and program management
- Broad understanding of electronic, optical and piezoelectric materials and devices with emphasis on wide bandgap semiconductors, ultra-wide bandgap semiconductors, IR optical materials, and piezoelectric crystals and ceramics
- Working knowledge of material synthesis, processing, chemi-mechanical polishing, structural and surface characterization, electrical characterization, optical characterization, device design and fabrication, circuit design and packaging
- Demonstrated success in transitioning technology from the laboratory to implementation
- Success in a research environment, where various forms of communication and organizational skills were crucial to be effective
- Five years of proven supervisory and project leadership experience
Preferred skills/experience areas include:
- A PhD degree in a related field, with a minimum of five years of experience managing electronic materials, device development, characterization or related projects
- Electronic materials crystal growth, thin film deposition, ceramics synthesis, processing, material and electrical characterization and electronics packaging
- Expertise with design, development and operation of Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) systems
- Semiconductor device fabrication, cleanroom processing and testing
- Optical materials processing and characterization
- Piezoelectric materials synthesis, processing, characterization and testing
- Significant experience with DoD relevant materials and devices for power electronics, RF electronics, sensors, detectors and 3D printed electronics
- Possession of an active secret (or higher) security clearance
Your working location will be fully on-site and can be based at either at our Freeport PA facility (near Pittsburgh PA) or at our State College, PA facility. This position requires periodic travel between these two locations and also occasional travel for various meetings, conferences and testing programs.
Candidates for consideration must submit a cover letter of interest and a resume.
ARL at Penn State is an integral part of one of the leading research universities in the nation and serves as a University center of excellence in defense science, systems, and technologies with a focus in naval missions and related areas.
You will be subject to a government security investigation, and you must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with the ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION on ARL, visit our web site at www.arl.psu.edu
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here .
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO IS THE LAW
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Federal Contractors Labor Law Poster
PA State Labor Law Poster
Penn State Covid-19 Vaccination or Testing Requirements
Penn State is committed to the health of our local and global communities. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to comply with COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirements. Click on Penn State Covid-19 Vaccination or Testing Requirements to learn about the requirements as well as general COVID-19 information at Penn State.
Penn State Policies
Electro-Optics Center in Freeport, PA, PA
University Park, PA
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*