Administrative Associate 3- Physics Course Administrator (Hybrid)
Administrative Associate 3- Physics Course Administrator (Hybrid)
The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the foundation of a liberal arts education at Stanford. The school encompasses 23 departments and 25 interdisciplinary programs. H&S is home to fundamental and applied research, where free, open, and critical inquiry is pursued across disciplines. As the universityâ€™s largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Graduate students work alongside world-renowned faculty to pursue and shape foundational research that leads to breakthroughs and discoveries that shed new light on the past, influence the present, and shape the future. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.
Department/Program Description: The Physics Department is a teaching and research department. Our course offerings range from Freshman seminars to advanced graduate courses, including large lecture and lab courses for the general education requirements in Natural Sciences, which provide opportunities for graduate teaching assistants. Undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows are mentored in research in astrophysics, cosmology, particle physics, atomic and laser physics, and condensed matter physics. For undergraduates, we offer Physics majors and minors, Astronomy minors, and other concentrations. For graduate students, we offer a robust Ph.D. program. We enjoy close connections to Applied Physics and departments at SLAC as well as several independent labs on campus, including but not limited to HEPL, KIPAC, GLAM and Gintzton laboratories.
Position Summary:Â The Department of Physics is seeking a Course Administrator to provide operational and administrative support to the head TA, physics educational specialist and instructors (faculty and lecturers) of physics courses with special emphasis on large introductory physicscourses. The Course Administrator should be highly motivated, enthusiastic, well-organized, and able to work independently. This is an exciting student services position with an opportunity to engage with students and provide support for department courses, course initiatives, and overall support to faculty and students in the department. Examples of tasks you will be doing are merging spreadsheet data from different sources to align student identifiers with student performance, generating reports from Qualtrics mid-quarter TA feedback, corresponding with students facing administrative challenges such as an inability to take an exam or a need for accommodations.Â In addition to these tasks you will also be printing and scanning exams. You must be very comfortable with spreadsheet manipulation and should also be able to use Google to troubleshoot.Â Â This position does not require finance knowledge or expertise.
The ideal candidate is a friendly, proactive and dependable self-starter with strong interpersonal and communication skills. This is a busy position at times requiring a high level of professionalism, productivity, accuracy, organization, multi-tasking, independence, sound judgment, and decision-making. The position requires a motivated person with a positive attitude and a passion for customer service and supporting others to manage a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced academic environment with frequently shifting priorities.
This position will be based on the Stanford campus and will be considered for an option of telecommuting (hybrid of working on-site and off-site), subject to operational need.
In this role, you will:
Act on behalf of the supervisor, department manager, or chair in regards to establishing priorities and identifying and resolving problems that are administrative in nature.
Oversee and/or perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating complex conferences, seminars, and events, including arranging with vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, administering logistics, and managing event within budget.
Compose and draft documents and correspondence for presentations, course handouts, grants, conferences, seminars, and reports; perform substantial editing and fact checking. Create, maintain, modify, and/or ensure accuracy of content in various unit documents, displays, reports, brochures, social media, and/or websites.
Plan and schedule calendar(s) with limited consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts, and arrange travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies.
Create complex reports and spreadsheets which may utilize specialized software and systems.
Oversee and/or process a variety of complex financial transactions; produce, monitor, and reconcile budget statements; research, identify, and resolve discrepancies. May assist with capital or special equipment requests and/or vendor selection.
Coordinate and monitor routine maintenance services completion.Â Plan and coordinate office moves and/or minor renovation projects.
May lead staff or supervise day-to-day work of student and/or temporary workers, including scheduling, assigning, and prioritizing workloads, setting appropriate deadlines, reviewing work for quality and timeliness, and providing performance review input.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
Education & Experience:
High school diploma and four years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Demonstrated success in following through and completing projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and assign work to others.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
Certifications and Licenses:
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Very comfortable with Excel, Word, Google docs, and Google sheets
- Able to create Qualtrics reports from surveys
- Able to merge spreadsheet data from different sources to align student identifiers with student performance. For example, aligning test scores from one platform with Stanford ID #â€™s from Stanfordâ€™s Canvas
- Able to synthesize data from multiple sources or platforms into a single document
- Very comfortable with spreadsheet manipulation and comfortable using google as a troubleshooting resource
- Familiar with and able to use Zoom
- Knowledge of Stanfordâ€™s various administrative procedures as well as the ability to effectively and thoughtfully interact with students
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy.Â Our cultureÂ andÂ unique perks Â empower you with:
- Freedom to grow.Â We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture.Â We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you.Â Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun.Â Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources.Â Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Final offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of national criminal background check, national sex offender registry search and, where applicable, driving record.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*