This job has Expired
WorkReadyU ESL Instructor (Day Shift)
River Parishes Community College Adult Education
Adult Education English Second Language (ESL) Instructor
Appointed by the Chancellor of the College upon recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor of Workforce Development
LINE AND STAFF RELATIONSHIPS
Directly responsible to the Director of Adult Education and Vice-Chancellor of Workforce Development
Help students improve their basic English language written and verbal skills and improve math, reading comprehension, language, and computer skills so they can achieve industry-based credentials (IBC) to secure entry- level employment or advance in their current occupation. The Adult Education ESL Instructor provides appropriate instruction for groups and individuals using materials, tools, equipment, and scenarios to meet students’ academic and work/career-related needs. The Adult Education ESL Instructor also works with students to determine potential barriers to their success in obtaining, retaining, and advancing their careers. It also works with them to implement solutions that ensure their success.
· 60% of the students complete their individual development plan and achieve their high school equivalency diploma, an entry-level industry-based credential, and admission into a credit-bearing college course.
· 40% of students who complete the secure program jobs or obtain a better wage.
· Achieve all Adult Education program benchmark targets and college performance measures, especially:
o Recruitment: Students Served
o Retention: 12 and 40 Hours of Academic Instruction
o Advancement: Pre-Test vs. Post-Test Results
o Achievement: Measurable Skill Gain, HiSET, Accuplacer, College Credit, IBC
· Receive positive feedback from students, industry, and LCTCS regarding program outputs and outcomes, as well as suggestions for improvement and sustainability
Responsibilities/Duties & Performance Expectations
· Responsible for full implementation of ALL aspects of the Adult Education ESL program, including recruitment, set- up, preparation, instructional process, work with other instructors and training specialists and director, student communication and coaching, data collection, data entry, follow-up, and recognition.
· Design, prepare and deliver effective one-on-one and small group, hands-on instruction and learning facilitation based on adult learning principles and training techniques that simulate the typical, relevant work environment.
· Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress in meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition.
· Create/maintain an orderly, controlled classroom/lab environment conducive to active engagement in learning.
· Organize and present instructional material at scheduled times and places in accordance with the learning objectives and establish individual and small group appointments.
· Create opportunities for students to work remotely through distance learning.
· Encourage, recognize, reward, and design incentives to keep students motivated and engaged in the learning process.
· Help students set and commit to achieving goals, plan specific actions, overcome challenges/barriers, and access resources that will facilitate their success.
· Provide students with information regarding their chosen career pathway and facilitate activities to place students in jobs that match the knowledge and skills learned.
· Teach students how to use the internet and other technology for online instruction, search and apply for job openings.
Administrative and Performance Improvement
· Maintain accurate student records regarding attendance, performance, progress, and status and submit course/student reports on a weekly basis.
· Assist RPCC with maintaining contact with students via email, texting, Canvas, and phone.
· Review program performance scorecard data with the Adult Education Coordinator and Director monthly and take appropriate actions to improve performance.
Communication & Transition Facilitation
· Demonstrate proficiency and utilize available technology and computer programs to execute course efficiently and effectively, including Ventures, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Canvas, scanning, copying, printing, and other online instructional and technology-based tools
· Report progress, needs, barriers, incidents, issues, and changes to the Adult Education Coordinator weekly and on a needed basis to ensure initiatives are being met.
· Maintain frequent and routine communication with the Industrial Training Specialist, Technical Instructors, and Academic Instructors regarding potential students and students currently participating in the Adult Education program.
· Develop professional relationships with other departments, agencies, schools, industry partners, and programs.
· Network to build relationships that maximize recruitment efforts and facilitate transition pathways to education, training, and employment opportunities
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Attitudes:
· Competencies in Reading, Language, Math, Science, and Social Studies
· Leadership and passion for improving basic skills
· Adult learning principles and challenges of adult learners and non-traditional students
· Relationship building, public relations, and customer service
· Maintaining confidentiality
· Organization skills, including attention to detail
· Creativity and innovation
· Use performance and process data to improve individual and program performance
· Utilizing the internet and computer technology for communication, data gathering & reporting; Internet Search Engines and MS Office proficiency
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Work independently and cooperatively to promote the overall vision and success of LCTCS, Adult Education, and River Parishes Community College
Associate degree from an accredited college or university and professional experience. Bilingual – Spanish
Bachelors of Science in Education or Related Discipline
Experience with individualized and classroom basic skills instruction
Please visit our website for more information: www.rpcc.edu
River Parishes Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. River Parishes Community College also operates in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX, of the 1962 Educational Amendments and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or veteran status in its programs and activities and provides equal access to its programs and activities.. The College is also in compliance with the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (P.L. 93-380) as amended by the (P.L. 95-568).
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*