132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Lecturer, Department of Practical Business Law
Lecturer (Faculty of Law: Department of Practical Business Law)
Advert reference: uj_000778
Advert status: Online
Apply by: 21 October 2022
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: Education and Training
Campus: Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
Remuneration: Market Related
EE position: Open to all
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
The University of Johannesburg is actively recruiting for a Lecturer in the Department of Practical Business Law. The Department of Practical Business Law is a dynamic department offering a variety of service modules to various faculties within the university. Various modules offered by the department are affiliated with professional bodies. Currently the department offers commercial law related modules to the College of Business and Economics as well as the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment. The department currently offers modules on the Soweto Campus, Bunting Road Campus, Doornfontein Campus and Kingsway Campus.
The successful candidate must demonstrate accomplished skills in teaching law to non-law students especially since this will be the core of his or her teaching activities. However, the candidate may be required to teach modules in the LLB or LLM curricula. From a research perspective, the candidate must specialise in a commercial law related field. Further, the successful candidate will be expected to travel and teach on any of the university’s campuses as required by the department.
- Responsible to teach, develop, manage and design study material for modules in Practical Business Law.
- Responsible to supervise postgraduate students.
- Required to be actively involved in research and publications, academic development, faculty and departmental administrative and other activities, and community service.
- Where not in possession of an LLD degree, required to obtain such a degree within a reasonable time.
- Committed to self-development and demonstrate such development by excellence in teaching and learning, research, community engagement and academic leadership.
- May be required to teach on any of the University's campuses.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
- Administering the tutorship system.
- In possession of an LLM degree (NQF level 9) in a commercial law related field;
- A track record of teaching commercial law subjects to non-law students and research with a commercial law focus;
- Accredited research output; and
- Expertise in relevant approaches and methods in teaching including in an online environment.
- It may be expected from shortlisted candidates to do a presentation to the faculty and its stakeholders on a topic as determined by the faculty.
- Knowledge of university, faculty policies, rules, and regulations;
- An LLD degree (NQF level 10) in a commercial law related field;
- A record of successful postgraduate supervision; and
- Peer-reviewed publications in accredited journals
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong leadership, organisational, interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with faculty, staff, students, and community members as well as organisational leaders.
- Collegial and emotionally intelligent.
- Innovative, proactive, and creative.
- Ability to work in a pressurised environment.
- Accomplished writing and presentation skills.
- High level of integrity and ethical foundation.
- Enthusiasm and passion for Teaching, Research and Community Engagement.
- Experience in teaching and learning and assessment in an online environment.
Enquiries regarding the job content: Prof EA Fredericks on (011) 559-4317
Enquiries regarding remuneration or benefits: Mr Innocent Masoka on (011) 559-1531 (HCM Business Partner)
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*