132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Postdoctoral Associate - Physics and Astronomy
Special Instructions to Applicants : All interested applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application in a PDF format . Please note that the applicant tracking system does not convert attachments in Word format successfully.
The High Energy Nuclear Physics group at Rice University invites applications to a postdoc research associate position on the CMS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
The Rice group (Geurts, Li) is playing a leading role in the CMS endcap timing layer (ETL) upgrade project for heavy ion programs at the high luminosity LHC. The ETL is based on a novel fast-timing silicon technology, known as the low gain avalanche diodes (LGADs). Together with another barrel timing layer (BTL), the new timing detector will for the first time provide particle identification capability to CMS heavy ion physics program at the HL-LHC.
The successful candidate is expected to play a key role in the design, prototyping and construction activities of the ETL project carried out by the Rice group, in areas of front-end electronics and power supply systems. The candidate will also have the opportunity to work on the research program in QCD/heavy ion physics at the LHC with the CMS experiment.
- Performs research accessing total electron content data
- Communicates the results of scientific research through verbal presentations and reports
- Actively engages to improve the research group’s reputation and set of scientific capabilities
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Experience and Education Requirements
- PhD in experimental nuclear and particle physics or related fields is required
- No substitutions for education allowed
- Possess a logical and independent mind
- Good interpersonal skills such as patience, determination, flexibility, and decisiveness
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication, analytical, and research skills
- Excellent scientific and numerical skills with meticulous attention to details and accuracy
- Ability to work in a team environment, to participate actively, to collaborate and to motivate others in the lab
- Able to learn new tools and software and skills to adapt to existing in-house software standards
Ability to collaborate with both technical staff and scientists and communicate effectively
Application material should include a curriculum vitae, a brief statement of research experience and interests, and three letters of reference. Inquiries about the position should be directed to Prof. Wei Li ( email@example.com ).
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*