This job has Expired
Early Childhood - Center Director
Early Childhood - Center Director
Full Job Description
Lopez Children's Center (LCC), a non-profit organization, is the only licensed early learning program on Lopez Island. We offer two programs for children aged 2.5 - 5 years; the Lopez Cooperative Preschool and PAL (Play & Learn), year-round childcare. We believe children develop a positive self-concept through a balance of child-initiated and teacher-directed activities and that children of this age learn best through play. Staff serve as positive role models and offer care that is supportive, nurturing, warm and responsive to each child's individual needs. We respect families as the primary and most important providers of care and nurturing and we believe that parents and teachers are partners in children's care and education.
We currently have 31 children enrolled and 9 staff members. Our programs are ECEAP blended and have a Level 4 Early Achievers rating. LCC is committed to providing high-quality early learning experiences that are accessible to all children and families on our small island.
Lopez Island is located in the San Juan Islands, a 40-minute ferry ride from the mainland. The beauty, tranquility, and sense of community are hard to beat. Almost all Lopez children heading to kindergarten attend our programs. As the Director of LCC you have the opportunity to be fully integrated with Island life and make a genuine difference in the lives of our Island children and families. The Children's Center is a beloved organization and generously supported by the Lopez community.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage daily and ongoing operations of Lopez Children's Center
- Monitor and ensure adherence to DCYF licensing and ECEAP standards
- Manage financial operations, keep Quickbooks up to date, pay bills
- Manage ongoing business operations including insurance, non-profit compliance, and annual filings
- Prepare annual budgets
- Manage payroll
- Write policies and procedures.
- Recruit interview, hire & orient new employees
- Monitor staff requirements and support staff to meet training requirements
- Evaluate staff performance
- Facilitate staff meetings
- Assist classroom teachers with curriculum, supplies, and individual child support
- Substitute in the classroom if needed
- Enroll and schedule children & orientate new families.
- Assure support for families from diverse cultural, linguistic, and economic backgrounds.
- Provide family support to families and make referrals as needed.
- Assist the LCC and Preschool Parent Boards in achieving the mission, philosophy, goals, and objectives of LCC
- Participate in fundraising & community outreach events
- Represent LCC in the Lopez community & be a spokesperson for the center's philosophy and goals
- Attend meetings of appropriate committees and organizations
- Coordinate maintenance of the LCC building.
- A combination of qualifications, experience, skills, and passion for realizing the vision of Lopez Children's Center
- Excellent administrative, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills in order to support and empower staff while ensuring a smoothly operating and fully compliant organization
- Finance and budgeting skills to balance program priorities with affordable tuition.
- Flexibility, compassion, and a sense of humor to navigate managing an essential organization in a small community.
- ECE State Certificate or ECE Associate's Degree or higher. *It may be possible to meet this requirement with a Professional Development Plan.
- Pass a DCYF Background check & show evidence of immunity to TB and measles.
- Must be fully vaccinated against Covid.
- Must meet and maintain all DCYF general qualifications and on-training requirements
Nice To Haves
- Two years ECE teaching experience
- Six months of experience in administration or management
- Knowledge & understanding of Foundational Quality Standards for Early Learning Programs (WACs) & ECEAP Performance Standards
- Spanish language skills
- Seven paid Holidays
- Paid vacation,
- Paid sick leave
- Access to free mental health services
- Employer-paid Family Leave premiums
The Executive Director is hired by and answers to a non-profit Board of Directors.
This position is salaried & full-time year-round beginning in November 2022. Some flexibility with start date may be possible.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*