132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Academic Support Specialist - Main Campus
Academic Support Specialist - Main Campus
Full Job Description
Location: Main Campus
Job Code: 365
# of Openings: 1
OPEN UNTIL FILLED; first application review October 5, 2022 POSITION DESCRIPTION
Under supervision of the area administrator, this position supports students, faculty, and instruction in an academic learning environment. The Academic Support Specialist will be both a subject matter expert in a particular academic subject and also an expert in teaching and learning. Support activities may include tutoring, creating learning groups, delivering workshops, deploying teaching and learning technology, and responding to student needs using best practices.
Provides academic support services to students, including individual and group tutoring in a variety of subject areas; develops small learning groups to strengthen math, English, or ESL skills; and designs and delivers workshops to supplement classroom activities and improve student success.
Assists academic staff in the implementation of curriculum by performing specific instructional tasks, such as checking educational materials and equipment in and out, reviewing instructional materials, compiling student scores, and instructing students in the operation of educational equipment.
Using guidance from instructors, develops tutoring lesson plans and delivers support that aligns with the classroom curriculum and reinforces lessons and skills.
Reinforces instruction and assists students through a variety of means including tutoring, repetition and drills, and additional exercises and lessons for individuals and groups of students in reading, language, writing, mathematics, and in other subjects according to instructions and guidance from, and in collaboration with, instructors.
Assists students in the use of computer software important to education, like email applications, word processing, and course management software; demonstrates computer programs and software applications to students; assists students in the use of equipment, computer programs, and Internet resources.
Assists students in selected subjects for remedial, supplemental, or enrichment purposes; observes progress of students and shares observations with instructors.
Administers, proctors, and scores tests, quizzes, assignments, and assessments as appropriate and in accordance with established protocols and scales.
Orients students to available programs, services, and learning resources.
Researches best practices on teaching and learning and, in collaboration with instructors, prepares instructional, enrichment, and motivational materials.
Strives to maximize self-reliance of students in activities utilizing accepted principles of learning theory and motivation.
Maintains student records, monitors student progress and attendance; performs record-keeping activities.
Provides individualized assistance in the completion and understanding of work assignments.
Assigns work stations, folders, books, equipment, and materials to students according to established procedures.
Works in collaboration with faculty and administrators to meet students' tutorial needs.
Coordinates learning activities with the tutorial services coordinator and other appropriate instructional and student support personnel from throughout the college.
Supports daily activities to ensure effective and efficient operations.
Supports the development, analysis, and assessment of Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) and Service Area Outcomes (SAOs) to ensure the measurement and improvement of program effectiveness (Program Planning and Assessment), and, in collaboration with supervisor, implements program modifications as necessary.
Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Best practices in serving the needs of adult and under-prepared students.
- Teaching and learning principles and practices.
- Computers and various application and instructional software programs, as well as other technologies applicable for use in college classes.
- Leadership and communication skills.
- Workshop organization and meeting facilitation practices.
- Community college-level subject content, especially in English, math, or ESL.
- Problem solving and study skills.
- Record-keeping and maintenance techniques.
- Developmental education or a related area.
- Oral and written communication and team building skills.
Skills and Ability to:
- Work collegially with faculty to foster student success.
- Tutor students individually and in groups.
- Effectively integrate technology to enhance student services and data collection.
- Use correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Apply effective office practices and procedures and provide instruction in the use of equipment and software.
- Learn and apply pertinent procedures and curriculum quickly and without immediate supervision.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Actively attract and engage students in their own learning.
- Use effective and innovative teaching methods, instructional design, and assessment strategies.
- Adapt instructional techniques to accommodate varied learning styles and abilities.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Plan and organize work in a support team educational environment.
- Perform data analysis and prepare comprehensive reports and records.
- Maintain confidential information and accurate records.
- A bachelor's degree and two years' experience working in an instructional setting with students who have basic skills needs.
- Recent experience in providing academic support within a learning lab, learning resource center, or tutorial services is desired.
- Preference will be given to candidates with STEM-specific experience providing academic support within a learning lab, learning resource center, or tutorial services
- A Driver's License required
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Regular, full-time, grant-funded, 12 months per year classified position on Main Campus. This position will be supporting Alisal, Castroville, Main campus, and Online.
Weekly Schedule: Tuesday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m (1hr lunch), Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m (1hr lunch), Saturday 9:00 am - 3:30 p.m (30min lunch).
Starting salary is $5,309 (Step A). Salary range 34 on CSEA salary schedule: $5,309 to $6,453 per month (5 Steps). District provides health benefits, which currently consist of full medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and a high percentage of coverage for eligible dependents. District-paid life, accident and income protection insurance is provided for the employee only. Must become a member of the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). This position is grant-funded and therefore is contingent on the renewal of the award.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Board Policy 7330 Communicable Diseases-Employees requires that all newly hired and current employees of the Hartnell Community College District be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All new employees must be fully vaccinated by the first day of employment. An exemption may be requested by individuals who cannot be vaccinated due to medical and/or religious reasons. Employees who receive an exemption will be required to wear a mask or face covering while on District property and/or facilities and will be required to undergo COVID-19 testing twice weekly. For more information about Hartnell CCD's vaccine requirement, please visit the District COVID-19 Information Website.
The following documents MUST be uploaded as attachments to your on-line application:
2. Cover letter
3. College/university transcripts
It is the policy of the Hartnell College Community District that no person shall be discriminated against in any employment procedure on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability. The College actively seeks applications from candidates who have multi-cultural experience. Contact the Office of Human Resources and Equal Employment Opportunity if you need any special accommodations to complete the application process.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*