132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Senior Weapon Systems Engineer
Do you want to help ensure our Nation’s military dominance in the 21st century?
Do you want to advance the Air Force hypersonic strike capabilities?
Are you passionate about applying your analytical and technical skills to various weapon systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Systems Engineer to help us develop and evaluate advanced strike weapon systems. You will represent APL to provide direct engineering support to the sponsor and to coordinate engineering activities with APL team members to serve the technical needs of the program.
As a Sr. Weapons Systems Engineer you will...
- Conduct weapon system concept definition studies and assess weapon system performance.
- Develop system requirements and perform analysis of total system effectiveness.
- Apply modeling, simulation, and analytic techniques to assessing emerging technologies for strike warfare applications.
- Document analysis/engineering results, prepare reports and briefings, and establish material requirements for sponsors.
- Develop systems engineering, integration, and test and evaluation processes and artifacts.
- Provide direct technical interface to the government sponsor, principal investigator, and project management.
- Lead and participate in engineering team meetings and overall technical development efforts.
- Work with industry, academic, and government laboratory staff to identify potential to apply promising emerging technologies to advanced weapon systems applications.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Physics, or another related technical field.
- Have at least ten years of relevant experience related to weapon systems development.
- Have strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills and ability to interact with government sponsor representatives.
- Ability and willingness to travel to present work to customers, provide technical advice during new system development/system modifications, and support laboratory/field testing.
Hold an active Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Master's degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or another related technical field.
- Have at least fifteen years of professional experience related to weapon systems development and acquisition.
- Have general knowledge of digital engineering processes and tools.
- Have general knowledge of military warfare systems including aircraft, weapons, sensors, communications networks and mission planning applications.
- Have knowledge of DoD Planning, Programming and Budgeting, Acquisition Decision, Research and Development, Test and Evaluation systems.
- Have demonstrated ability to interface effectively with government sponsors.
Hold active TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*