This job has Expired
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Job Posting Number S01089
Department College of the Environment-1298
Job Category Staff Posting
Position Type Grant Funded Full-Time
Pay Type Salaried
$50,800 – $59,500
Experience is taken into consideration in the determination of salary offers. For more information visit
Wesleyan University is a private liberal arts university (founded in 1831) in Connecticut with Ph.D. programs in the natural sciences and ethnomusicology, and is ranked number #17 in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges in America. The interdisciplinary College of the Environment (COE) was founded in 2009 and has more than 30 faculty members from 24 academic departments. The Schumann Institute within the COE was founded in 2017. Information on the COE can be found at: https://wesleyan.edu/coe.
Working under the direction of Prof. Barry Chernoff, Director of College of the Environment, the Postdoctoral Research Associate will contribute to the effects of population fragmentation and climate change on freshwater fish genomes.
- Research project data collection and analysis of results
- Preparation of results for manuscripts and publication
- Assisting the PI in the design of future projects
- Supervision and training of graduate and undergraduate research students
- Other duties as assigned
The PostDoc will also have an opportunity to teach one course for undergraduates on sustainability science in their area of expertise.
Anticipated start date is in January, 2023. Funding for this position has been approved for 2.5 years.
- Ph.D. in genomics or a related field and graduate or post-doctoral experience in the areas of genomics or a related field.
- Experience working in a genomics or molecular biology lab.
- Demonstrated bioinformatic experience with assembling or annotating genomes.
- Experience with analyzing data from procedures such as RAD-seq, GTseq, Shallow-Read genome sequencing, or qPCR.
- Experience with bioinformatic tools such as SAMTOOLS or Bioconductor.
- Experience with genomics and population genomics, including familiarity with either PacBio or Illumina high throughput sequencing.
- Demonstrated ability in fostering an inclusive community.
- Evidence of publication in peer-reviewed journals, whether published or manuscripts under-review.
- Experience with Oxford Nanopore Minion technology.
- Experience with transcriptomics.
- Experience working with fish, especially non-model fishes.
- Experience working with individuals from historically marginalized or underserved groups.
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate level.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications received by November 1, 2022 will be given full consideration.
Candidates should include with their application a curriculum vita, relevant research experience (1 page) and experience (1 page). The names, email addresses and phone numbers of at least three references should also be provided. In the cover letter, candidates should describe how they will embrace the college’s commitment to fostering an inclusive community.
Additional information on the position and the College of the Environment can be
found at https://www.wesleyan.edu/coe/. For questions or further information, please contact the College of the Environment director, Barry Chernoff (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All offers to external applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check screening to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University.
Wesleyan University requires proof of COVID-19vaccination and booster (if eligible under CDC guidelines) or an approved exemption prior to first day of employment.
Wesleyan offers a broad range of employee benefits and development opportunities, including comprehensive group insurance plans, wellness programs and incentives, generous paid time off and retirement plans. We also offer flexible work schedules, employee and dependent tuition programs, as well as access to Wesleyan’s BLS & GLS programs for those who qualify (tuition is waived for up to 2 courses a term; some fees and taxes may apply).
Detailed information on the benefits of working at Wesleyan is located at: https://wesleyan.edu/hr/careers/prospective-resources.html.
Quick Link https://careers.wesleyan.edu/postings/9173
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*