This job has Expired
Senior Faculty Specialist (Research Program Specialist – Agricultural Systems & Climate)
Title:Senior Faculty Specialist
Functional Title:Senior Faculty Specialist (Research Program Specialist – Agricultural Systems & Climate)
Category Status:15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con
Applicant Search Category:Faculty
University Authorized FTE:1.0
Unit:AGNR-AES-Agriculture Experiment Station-Associate Dir.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
(1) Under general supervision, provide moderately complex technical and administrative support to the programs housed in or initiated by the Office of Associate Dean for Research and Associate Director of Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station (MAES) in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR).
- Technical tasks include compiling/writing research proposal materials (e.g., postdoc mentoring plans, project management plans, logic model, etc.) and pieces of proposals, conducting literature reviews for research proposals, compiling and writing project progress and final reports, assisting with strategic planning of MAES operations, occasionally developing print and digital research marketing material, promoting faculty research on social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook) feeds, and developing text and graphics related to research reporting.
- Administrative tasks include scheduling multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team meetings, arranging meeting logistics as appropriate, team information management, helping the Associate Dean in connecting with other units in MAES, AGNR, and UMD, assisting AGNR faculty with post-award management of large projects (examples include, helping them organize meetings, collect project progress reports, submit progress and final reports, etc.), and assisting the Associate Dean with special projects as required.
- Collaborating with AGNR faculty to make climate data products available to them; quantifying climate risks to agricultural commodities (e.g. corn, wheat, soybeans, etc.), plants diseases and insects, and water resources/environment;
- Developing approaches and tools for climate risk management;
- Conducting climate change-related independent research;
- Participating on grant proposals in the College that require climate expertise.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. atmospheric science, geography, geosciences, engineering (biosystems or civil), computer science, environmental science, etc.) by the effective date of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in one or more relevant programming languages (e.g. R, Python, NCL (NCAR Command Language), Julia, Fortran, etc.) is essential;
- Evidence of effective scholarly communication (both written and oral) is also essential for this position.
- Ph.D. degree in a relevant field.
- Experience working in a high-performance computing environment is desirable.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong computational and quantitative skills;
- Familiarity with climate datasets;
- A clear orientation toward transdisciplinary research and collaboration.
Open Until FilledYes
Best Consideration Date10/07/2022
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*