Position Title: Accountant
Requisition Number: req2796
Compensation: 48,094.00 - 57,712.00
Job Grade: E3
Department: Business Office
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Compensation Type: Exempt (Salaried)
Campus Location: Main Campus
This is a benefits eligible position. CNM offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance as well as pension and retirement plans. CNM also offers generous educational benefits to employees, their spouse/domestic partner, and dependent children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Accountant position works within various department, including the Bursar’s Office, Payroll, General Accounting, and Contracts and Grants to create and maintain effective accounting systems and perform complex accounting work. This position ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting practices and CNM policy in executing, analyzing, verifying, and reporting transactions of a fiscal nature, advises management regarding the effective use of resources and methods to maximize earnings, as well as recommends and assists in implementation of systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Automated document review requiring an emphasis on analysis to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of financial reporting.
- Analyzes financial information and statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be escalated to management’s attention.
- Performs technical accounting duties related to general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, contract and grant accounting, not-for-profit accounting, and payroll accounting.
- Performs general accounting duties, which include preparing journal entries, bank reconciliations, balance sheet accounts reconciliations, investment accounts reconciliations, pre-audits, month-end closings, and year-end closings. Verify, allocate, post and reconcile payroll, accounts payable and receivable.
- Performing variance analysis and preparing account reconciliations.
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by analyzing, verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies.
- Maintains and reconciles fixed assets schedules.
- Updates, develops and documents business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Summarizes financial status by collecting information, preparing financial statements, profit and loss, and other statements.
- Produces error-free accounting reports and present results.
- Ensures compliance with GAAP principles, federal regulations and college policies. Responsibilities include performing a variety of advanced accounting functions. This position uses independent judgment and analytical problem solving skills to identify and solve complex problems.
- Serves as a coach and mentor for lower level accounting roles.
- Subject to the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and Central New Mexico Community College’s HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures, assisting the CNM health plan with day-to-day activities involving protected health information, including but not limited to, assisting with employee claims, coordinating benefits, determining health claim status, determining eligibility for coverage, budgeting and renewal, billing and collection activities, obtaining assistance from third-parties for plan functions, and any other duties delegated by the HIPAA Privacy or Security Officer.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or in a related field with a minimum of fifteen (15) credit of accounting
- Three (3) years of related experience
- Previous experience in payroll reporting and payments
- Previous experience reconciling, balancing, maintaining general ledger accounts and third party accounts
- Previous experience with Financial and Human Resource/Payroll reporting software
- Previous experience working in Higher Education
Additional Comments to Applicants:
As a condition of employment CNM requires all students, faculty, and staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than October 1, 2021. All students, faculty and staff must provide documentation of full vaccination using a vaccine authorized by FDA License or under an FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). All documentation to verify vaccination or exemptions must be provided.