Custodian, 2nd shift, ATC/Spectrum/M-TEC
Position Title: Custodian, 2nd shift, ATC/Spectrum/M-TEC
Job ID: 1350
Work Hours/ Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks, Monday through Friday, 2:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Compensation: College Employee Benefit Association
● Custodian 1: $16.89+ $0.50/hour shift differential
Reports to: Building Manager
Start Date: To be determined.
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
- The custodian’s position is primarily to provide support at various college buildings as directed by the facilities operations building manager.
- The position is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of facilities;
- the surrounding external adjacent area; performing minor maintenance; and snow removal from walkways.
- A major aspect besides cleaning of the facility is to ensure it is open and then secured at the end of day. Additionally, the individual must be cognizant of the fire alarm and security systems.
Essential Job Functions
● Cleaning of hardwood surfaces
● Cleaning of carpeting and upholstery
● Cleaning of terrazzo and tile/linoleum floors
● Cleaning of restrooms, stairwells, classrooms, offices, etc.
● Ordering of supplies/cleaning products
● Replacement of fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
● Snow removal
● Opening and securing of facilities
● Unclogging of toilets/sinks
● Identification of chemicals and cleaning fluids for appropriate tasks
● Must be able to work a flexible schedule based on building requirements
● Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
Marginal Job Functions
● Use of pallet jack
● Use of scissors lift
● Driving a vehicle
● A minimum of a high school degree or GED diploma required
● National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred but not required.
● Training on the job available with limited to no commercial cleaning experience.
● Commercial cleaning experience in an educational environment preferred.
● The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
● Handling and Moving Objects
● Performing General Physical Activities
● Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
● Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material
● Getting Information
● Making Decisions and Solving Problems
● Communicating with Supervisors
● Controlling Machines and Processes
● Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
● Monitor Processes, Materials,
● Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
● Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
● Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
● Assisting and Caring for Others
● Scheduling Work and Activities
● Must be able to use a variety of carpet extractors (walk behind/push-pull)
● Must be able to use Taski dry foam swing scrubbers
● Must be able to operate all floor hand rotary and vibrating scrubbers
● Must be able to use and operate wet vacuums
● Must be able to use 4’; 6’; 8’; and 10’ ladders
● Must be able to use carpet bonnet machines
● Must be able to use and have knowledge of all cleaning chemicals and dispensing systems
● Must be able to use gas and electric power sprayers
● Must be able to use all general use custodial equipment: mops, buckets, brooms, dusters, etc.
● Must be able to use a computer to communicate via email
● Must be able to do light electrical and plumbing work using pliers, screwdrivers, plungers, etc.
● Must be able to operate snow blowers
● Must be able to use salt spreaders
● Must be able to use man lifts and pallet jacks
● Must be able to drive a vehicle
● Be able to lift 50 pounds
● Be able to work indoors with or without heat and air conditioning, and outside during all types of weather
● Must be punctual and have good attendance record
● Be able to adjust to a flexible and changing schedule
● The ability to work with a variety of college staff personnel
● The ability to provide customer service to faculty, staff, students and the general public
● Work alone
● Work during the hours of darkness
● Work indoors and outdoors
● Work with or without heat and air conditioning
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on 06/01/2022 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.