Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
To apply for this role, please submit a resume/CV and cover letter to the Koya Team at
At this critical moment in its history, Feeding America is seeking an aspirational, empathetic and mission-driven leader to serve as the Chief Communications & Community Engagement Officer.
The Chief Communications & Community Engagement Officer is responsible for leading Feeding America’s effort to catalyze a movement to end hunger in America, positioning Feeding America and the neighbors they serve as thought leaders on issues related to hunger, promoting community engagement in the fight to end hunger, and mobilizing coalitions to take action on hunger. They are also responsible for strategic communications (internal, external and to Feeding America’s network of food banks), public relations, media relations and celebrity and donor engagement.
The Chief Communications & Community Engagement Officer collaborates with the marketing and government relations teams to ensure Feeding America’s message is distributed across channels and to targeted audiences in order to meet awareness, engagement and fundraising objectives. They provide public relations counsel to the CEO and serve as a member of the organization’s Executive Team.
The role reports directly to the CEO and leads a Communications team of 17 professionals. This leader will also build out and lead the Community Engagement function, projected to be a team of ~10.
Salary Range: $230,000 o $275,000+ Based on Experience
- Direct the development and execution of a strategy to catalyze a movement to end hunger that is anchored in community engagement and driven by the voices of our neighbors struggling with food insecurity.
- Work closely with the marketing and government relations teams to direct the development and execution of priorities, initiatives and supporting communications strategies to end hunger through the expansion of federal nutrition programs and charitable food banking while seeking opportunities to address the root causes of hunger including racism and other systemic inequities that drive food insecurity.
- Direct the development and execution of best-in-class, fully integrated, communications strategy, structure and processes that support all aspects of Feeding America’s mission and effectively implement the brand strategy in a rapidly evolving, multi-channel world. This includes ensuring effective communications partnership and support for key internal functions at Feeding America.
- Oversee the development and execution of strategies to proactively and creatively drive visibility for the Feeding America brand, it’s key spokespeople (e.g., the CEO) and key messages.
- Guide the development of advocacy strategies focused on lifting the voices of communities and neighbors in the fight to end hunger.
- Direct the development and execution of initiatives and plans for advancing Feeding America’s external thought leadership as aligned with its strategic priorities. Position Feeding America, and the voices of our neighbors, as a leader in the effort to re-frame the policy and public debate about SNAP and other federal benefits and nutrition programs.
- Develop, coach and motivate a best-in-class team capable of delivering across a broad range of strategies and operating goals. Create a results-focused environment that includes clear goals, regular feedback and transparent accountability. Invest in talent development and succession-planning at the functional and enterprise level.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a robust council strategy focused on fully leveraging existing councils (the Executive Advisory Council and the Entertainment/Influencer Council) and on convening additional councils to support the achievement of Feeding America’s strategy.
- Serve as a compelling and inspiring spokesperson for Feeding America in front of the media and other key audiences as needed.
- Build strong and collaborative working relationships with Feeding America network members at the CEO as well as the functional leadership levels to collaboratively create and implement communications and community engagement strategies and initiatives.
- Liaise with members, as well as various teams from across the organization to effectively lead crisis management from a communications standpoint. Ensure that processes and training are in place to maintain robust enterprise risk management capability at Feeding America and throughout the network.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keep people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies and Experience: *
AN AUTHENTIC RELATIONSHIP BUILDER & COLLABORATOR*
This leader will:
- Have a natural ability to serve as a ‘bridge,’ instinctively drawing people in to advance the mission.
- Serve as a natural galvanizer, able to thoughtfully engage diverse groups – both internally and externally – to create shared strategies.
- Be an exceptional relationship builder and persuasive communicator and listener, with the ability to foster an atmosphere of collaboration, partnership and trust.
- Be confident and comfortable presenting and interacting in a variety of settings, from large public audiences, to boardrooms, to community listening sessions.
AN INSPIRING & TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADER
This executive will:
- Be an inspiring, empathetic, approachable, and inclusive leader with an infectious optimism and adept ability to lead through periods of change.
- Have the ability to attract, cultivate and retain diverse teams with a broad set of ideas and skills and achieve organizational impact by recognizing and leveraging individual strengths, expertise and teamwork.
- Be able to develop a powerful sense of shared purpose and engagement in the future of Feeding America’s work and the possibilities ahead.
- Have the ability to work at the national and local level, with an understanding and deep respect for the nuances of the individual communities and people Feeding America and its network of food banks serve.
A HUMBLE INNOVATOR & PRAGMATIC VISIONARY
This leader will:
- Have a low-ego and deep belief in engaging others and co-creating solutions, rather than ‘going at it alone’.
- Be energized by ambiguity, and ‘thinking big and outside the box’ to develop effective strategies for tackling complex issues.
- Be a creative thinker, effectively and constructively leading Feeding America to consider new and innovative approaches to targeting and engaging new constituents and partners.
- Have the ability to put big ideas into action, while defining and implementing measurable goals and execution plans.
A LEADER IN COMMUNICATIONS & MOVEMENT BUILDING
The Chief Communications & Community Engagement Officer will:
- Be energized by thinking creatively about how to engage and lift up different voices to build a cohesive movement to fight food insecurity.
- Have a track record of success in overseeing the development and implementation of complex community engagement, communications, and constituent management strategies.
- Understand the importance and power of internal/external communications and media relations as well as grass roots engagement and advocacy.
- Be skilled in the development and execution of an effective, comprehensive, and innovative communications strategy, structure and process including demonstrated success in creating and launching effective media partnerships, communications platforms and cause marketing partnerships.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $230,000.00 per year