Chief Executive Officer
Choose Love Movement
Location : Remote
The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement (CLM) was founded by Scarlett Lewis shortly after her six-year-old son, Jesse, was murdered during the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012. Through this tragedy, Scarlett decided to be a part of the solution to the issues that drove that tragedy that we continue to find in our society today, including the safety, mental health, and wellbeing of children and families in our schools, homes, and communities. She created the Choose Love Movement and became a leading advocate for character development and social and emotional learning. The Choose Love program teaches children how to manage their emotions, feel connected, and have healthy relationships.
The Choose Love Movement is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission to create safer and more loving communities through Character and Social Emotional Development (CSED) programs that are suitable for all stages of life. The organization has steadily grown since its founding with an operating budget of $1M, which represents a 44% growth in the last year. Choose Love Movement is operated under the guidance of a 12-member Board of Directors, managed by 14 full-time and part-time employees, and delivered by over 125 trained ambassadors worldwide with countless volunteers helping spread the message within their schools, homes, and communities.
The Choose Love program has been adapted into numerous offerings and resources tailored to the different needs of schools, homes, corporations, and social service agencies. Base programming is available at no cost, while expanded training support and assessments are available under a tiered service model that will rapidly expand resources available to the organization. Since its inception, three million children from more than 120 countries have used CLM’s programs across more than 10,000 schools.
To learn more about CLM, please visit https://chooselovemovement.org/.
The Choose Love Movement seeks a seasoned, highly skilled, and collaborative leader to take the organization and movement to the next level. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will work comfortably with the board and Founder/Chief Movement Officer to further develop the organization’s platform as a leader within the CSED industry and the choice for creating safe and more loving schools, homes, and communities. With an eye for growth and future sustainability, the CEO will provide overall leadership for strategy and operations, staff and organizational development, financial oversight, and revenue generation. The individual must be an outstanding communicator able to unify multiple perspectives to achieve the organization’s mission. The CEO should also have proven leadership experience growing a nonprofit organization. The CEO must be committed to the mission of the Choose Love Movement and honoring the history and founding of the organization.
This is a wonderful opportunity for the right individual to take a world class curriculum proven to touch hearts and minds to the next level. Social and Emotional Learning is receiving substantial funding and the opportunities to build off a very strong established base at the Choose Love Movement make this a rare and exciting opportunity. Our Founder is ready to hand the reins of the business to an inspiring CEO who has a strong entrepreneurial spirit anchored in solid business practices. At the same time, Scarlett will remain engaged as a partner to help drive much of the harder top of funnel activities and continue to build the heart underlying the movement’s success.
Leadership and Vision
- Establish a clear vision and strategic pathway for the growth of CLM in · partnership with the Founder and Board of Directors.
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for the Choose Love Movement, able to articulate the organization’s history, mission, and programs.
- Demonstrate decisive and robust management skills and the ability to align diverse stakeholders in support of one clear mission.
- Serve as a change agent with the ability to motivate, influence, and attract individuals to this inspiring cause.
Revenues and Operations
- Efficiently lead the development and implementation of appropriate process, system, and structural improvements that ramp up service delivery and product utilization.
- Evaluate and prioritize opportunities for program and organizational development and growth.
- Implement marketing and other customer and partner acquisition strategies to increase utilization of the Choose Love Movement’s service and product offerings.
- In addition to increasing earned income, build the organization’s fundraising capacity, including major gift solicitations, event planning, annual fund and direct mail campaigns, legacy giving, and corporate and foundation grants.
- Set annual and longer-term goals aligned with the strategic plan, the blueprint of activities to achieve these goals, and objectives by which progress toward the goals will be measured.
- Oversee the organization’s fiscal health and integrity by developing long- and short-range financial plans and annual budgets, disseminate regular financial statements that describe the organization’s financial condition with sound financial controls.
- Establish and employ metrics to describe program utilization and financial and operational performance.
- Provide leadership and direction to all staff and ensure the continued development and management of the organization.
- Help shape, develop, and build a high-performance team that is results-driven and centered on the mission.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Directors and ensure open communication about measuring financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Work with the board to expand and diversify board membership and establish best practice mechanisms for board members to support a thriving organization.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
The CEO should have the following experience and qualifications:
- An accomplished leader with experience driving an organization through a rapid growth phase, including any needed change management steps.
- A skilled strategist with a track record of revenue generation through diversified fundraising and building and executing business models for organizational sustainability and growth.
- Proven successful leadership, managerial, team building, and financial management experience at an executive level within a 501(c)(3) membership organization.
- Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future and growth to staff, board, members, industry partners, and the public.
- Experience listening to and communicating with diverse groups and demonstrated success in communicating effectively in writing and verbally.
- 5-10 years of senior leadership experience demonstrating increasing responsibilities and a Bachelor’s degree are minimum requirements.
- Experience working with schools and other social service organizations is preferred.
- Knowledge of SEL, CSED, and other related topics is preferred.
- Ability to engage in a travel schedule that includes regular trips to meet staff, schools, board, partners, and funders.
Personal Characteristics or Attributes
Ideally, the CEO will be the following:
- This is a position where heart and mind will both be nurtured and inspired. You have to want to bring both.
- An available and accessible leader who upholds integrity and is strategic, diplomatic, resourceful, assertive, open-minded, and politically astute.
- A hands-on team player who inspires collaboration, shares information readily, listens intently, and respects the perspectives and abilities of others.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter who is eager to explore opportunities.
- A leader who has an authentic passion for making an impact.
The CEO will receive a competitive salary and health insurance, vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
JLCLM is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcomed.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume electronically to Gretchen Kunkel at The Moran Company. The cover letter should highlight your qualifications and experiences and how they align with JLCLM’s requirements. Special attention should be given to sharing your past experiences and achievements in growing an organization’s impact and reach through sustained and diversified revenue generation.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $125,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Work Location: Remote