About Westchester Community College:
Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. Westchester Community College is more than just the county's largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors.
Reporting to Assistant Dean of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness, the Data Scientist will generate data for various campus initiatives and grants and conduct qualitative and quantitative data analyses using state-of-the-art analytical tools. Key responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Collect, extract, and manipulate large data sets from various sources; incorporate applied research methods to analyze data, including appropriate interpretation of analysis results in support of college's grants, initiatives, decision-making, strategic planning, and reaccreditation activities;
- Develop statistical analyses to assist administrators, faculty and staff in educational research studies, and in gathering and compiling statistics relating to the educational environment;
- Create queries within the college's student information system to extract data in support of various projects at the college;
- Assist in designing and/or administering internal and external surveys as well as conducting analyses and producing reports on survey results for college constituents;
- Design and create dashboards to support the college community in the decision-making process;
- Develop and distribute enrollment reports and forecasts to inform and support college in enrollment strategy and innovation efforts;
- Provide training to college constituents when needed on utilization and understanding of data analyses; and
- Perform other tasks as required.
A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and two years of experience performing statistical studies and analyses using complex automated information systems. A Master's Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Sociology, Public Administration, Business Administration or Economics is preferred and may be substituted for one year of the required experience. The preferred candidate will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and attributes:
- Excellent knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data analyses, including proficiency in using SPSS and Tableau;
- Excellent knowledge of research methodologies, data collection techniques, ability to gather and collect statistical research and draw logical conclusions;
- Ability to design statistical tables, produce graphs and charts, and interpret reporting procedures to effectively communicate with college constituents;
- Data oriented and accurate with ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines; thoroughness; resourcefulness; initiative; good judgment; tact; dependability; and data integrity;
- Clear, concise and accurate oral and written reports.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $67,417 plus excellent benefits.
Applicants must apply online by submitting a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of hire. Please login to: https://sunywcc.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp in order to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents. The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning.
The College will provide equal opportunity in all of its employment practices to all persons without unlawful discrimination on the basis of political affiliation, age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, membership in any reserve component of the armed forces, or use or non-use of lawful products off College premises during nonworking hours, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.