Date: April 18, 2022
Position Title: Video Content Production Manager
Department: Media Technologies
Job ID: 1327
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks
Compensation: Meet and Confer, Grade 16 - $66,705
Reports to: Director of IT, Media Technologies
Posting Close Date: May 2, 2022
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
Video production managers work both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. They play a crucial role in program production by initiating creative approaches, organizing schedules, budgets, technology and people. They are involved at each stage of a program, from initial planning, estimating, and scheduling, writing, storyboarding, researching, filming or recording, editing, graphics, digitizing, archiving, streaming and final budget and production reports. A qualified candidate would ensure that everything runs smoothly and have substantial experience in all aspects of the business. Production managers in higher education are also focused on student learning. Please Note: Not all aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
Essential Job Functions
Leadership and Management
● Provides day-to-day operations while supervising team members of the production portion of the Media department
● Ensure appropriate functional resource allocation and creative direction to meet project and institutional objectives by partnering with customers, staff, and leadership within the Information Technology (IT) unit.
● Oversee annual performance excellence process for functional resources, ensuring accurate review and appropriate identification of training and professional development opportunities
● Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
● Supervise Production Coordinator, Closed Captioner, full-time intern and freelance staff
● Represents the college by supporting community partners, leading technology for community events on behalf of the college
● Establishes and maintains caliber of video material representing the college, including all levels of administration, staff development, promotion and instructional content
● Serve as primary contact for programs developing multimedia classes, coordinating department resources with video and audio production course
● Maintain and supervise extensive college video digital archive, updating DLT archiving system and supervising staff who digitize and add metadata to content.
● Maintains support contracts with system vendors, providing first call for issue resolution 24/7
● Coordinate staff training and development in the effective use of video production and broadcast.
● Serve as point person for college's internal streamed video content, transitioning content to newer systems.
● Spearheads new virtual meeting standards, nurturing college-wide adoption
● Maintain original footage library and database.
● Production responsibilities include the professional capture of video and editing on non-linear systems, maintaining and upgrading current systems and developing products for distribution
● Provide direction during live production events, pre-planning, vendor and rental coordination.
● Lead college podcasting efforts, establishing process, recording, editing and distribution of multiple regular podcast streams
● Write scripts, line up shoots, hire actors, record narrators, schedule locations and staff support.
● Provide a wide variety of 2-and-3-dimensional graphics. Provide billing for all production projects that generate revenue.
● Serve as the lead person for live, interactive events involving simultaneous in-person audiences as well as virtual audiences.
● Maintain and update multiple live-streaming and interactive tools.
● Provide creative direction for special events, presentations and instructional design.
● Maintain college’s drone fleet
● Maintain, utilize and supervise use of various 360/virtual camera recording systems and online platforms
● Work with faculty and staff to design accessibility policy and procedure, guaranteeing quality digital tools for students requiring accommodation; ensure reasonable turnaround time for requests and adequate staffing to meet demands; ensure methods employed by staff reflect best practices; expectations apply to projects edited
by I.T. Media, projects created by GRCC Faculty, and live events where accessible technology is required (live captioning, audio description).
● Serve on the Higher Education Television Authority board.
● Cooperate with Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies to teach staff improved presentation techniques.
● Lead coordination with local vendors to align event technology with college needs.
● Cooperate with College Communications to determine regional campaigns by leveraging media resources for maximum exposure of college community value, and college brand.
● Maintain on-hold message for college phone system.
● Support designated college-community partnerships with video production.
● Research and implement new technologies used in the industry for recording, editing, design, authoring and distribution.
● Conceptualize and implement processes that improve efficiency of content delivery.
● Cooperate with Director of Media Technologies to provide strategic direction for the department and college regarding the use of media. Participate on college teams and provide leadership when appropriate.
● Stay current with industry advances and innovations in technology through journals, seminars, workshops, tradeshows, and supplier representatives to evaluate new technology. Provide analysis and evaluation of advances relative to how they apply to our operation and assist or lead in their implementation.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in multimedia content creation or related field required.
● FAA drone operator certification (up to date) required.
● A minimum of 5 years of successful work experience in a leadership role in a professional, broadcast production environment with strong emphasis on creativity, process development, problem identification and resolution, and staff supervision required.
● Experienced viewing content creation through the lenses of disability accommodation and live, interactive events.
● Understanding and working knowledge of College’s budget and purchasing processes preferred.
● Preferred up-to-date professional technical skills which include the use of Microsoft Windows and Office, 25 Live, Google, PeopleSoft, ImageNow, and Blackboard.
● Preferred proficiency using Adobe Creative Suite tools comprehensively and with great proficiency, particularly After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop
● Experienced with Digital Tape (DLT) Archiving Systems preferred.
● Capacity to operate a range of professional audio equipment and experience running a studio with multiple cameras and lighting equipment preferred.
● Experienced in studio and location professional lighting techniques preferred.
● Experienced with multitrack audio production and audio editing preferred.
● The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
● Information Skills
● Interacting With Computers
● Getting Information
● Thinking Creatively
● Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
● Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
● Making Decisions and Solving Problems
● Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
● Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
● Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
● Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
● Scheduling Work and Activities
● Processing Information
● Documenting/Recording Information
● Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others
● Coordinating the Work and Activities of Others
● Ability to use good judgment to resolve problems in a timely manner by collecting, analyzing, collaborating, and utilizing data for decisions while being responsive to change as needed.
● Excellent interpersonal and phone skills with ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written, to assist students and staff in a professional manner.
● Demonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships and to effectively work as a member of a team.
● Ability to handle multiple priorities, and solve problems quickly in high stress situations.
● Exhibit professional behavior and judgment when handling sensitive information, assuring confidentiality
● Thorough understanding of various digital video formats and video compression preferred.
● Ability to proficiently edit using Avid Media Composer preferred.
● Ability to operate a range of digital cameras, particularly 4K acquisition and processing preferred.
● Digital cinematography skills preferred, shooting in a variety of formats and resolutions.
● Add physical demands here
● Ability to lift heavy gear
● Ability to climb ladders
● Ability to drive college vehicles for transporting gear
● Ability to direct events under pressure of live audiences and crew
● Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
● Typical office workstation
● Some travel will be required to various sites
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will remain open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.