Position TitleSpecialist II, Natural Sciences (Part Time)
Open Internally or ExternallyInternal
Reports to (title)Associate Dean, Natural Sciences and Engineering
DepartmentDiv of Natural Sciences & Engineering (School of STEM)-2G1
Position TypeNew position
Job CategoryPart-Time Staff - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Job Open Date04/07/2022
Open Until FilledYes
Under minimal supervision provide secretarial support to the administrative assistant and Associate Dean. Works and communicates with all levels of administration, faculty, staff and students in all areas that affect the Division and associated Departments. Work with and safeguard confidential documents while maintaining confidentiality. Ensure the efficient operation of the Division Office and associated Departments. Assist in preparation of full and part time compensation forms. Fill out HR paperwork for new instructors.Make decisions within the scope of the job, be proactive in putting together calendars, responses, and follow-up items.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Make decisions within the scope of the job, be proactive in putting together calendars, responses, follow-up items and assist in the work of the office.
- Compile, compose and edit quality finished memorandum, correspondence, reports, minutes, etc.
- Support and assist administrative assistant and Associate Dean in all daily aspects of the operations of the Division.
- May assist Department Coordinators with scheduling.
- Communicate extensively through electronic mail and disk filing systems.
- Receptionist duties, screening phone calls, message taking, etc., coordinating travel arrangements, maintain filing systems, perform research and analysis functions, prepare and write reports, implement new procedures, coordinate activities with other departments, receive and distribute mail, disseminating general and accurate information to students, employees and others.
- Familiarity with Department, Division, School and College policies and procedures, receiving and appropriately routing student, faculty and staff issues.
- Support full and part time faculty.
- Support student success at the college.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties Continued
Other duties as assigned.
- Have polished time management and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask
- Knowledge of Salt Lake Community College systems and policy/procedures.
High School diploma or GED.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic backgrounds, to maintain good working relationships across the College
- Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
- Accurate keyboarding skills required. Office methods, techniques, practices and procedures
- Interpersonal problem solving and public relations skills
- Basic knowledge of budget/accounting procedures
- Good communications/human relations/customer service skills
- Knowledge of general office procedures and office equipment
- Ability to enforce college policy and procedures
- Note taking/minutes distribution
- College budget systems
- Able to handle work of a confidential nature
- Ability to use computer applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, data retrieval systems)
This is a part time position.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.