Position TitleAdjunct Lecture/Lab, Exercise Science
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Associate Dean
DepartmentExercise Science (STEM) - 2G5*
Position TypeOne Semester Temporary
Job CategoryAdjunct - Variable
Initial Work LocationVaries
Starting Salary$900/Contact Hour
Job Open Date05/24/2021
Job Close Date10/14/2022
Open Until FilledNo
Instructional delivery of course curriculum, management of learning environment and assessment of student learning for assigned Exercise Science (EXSC) classes.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
1. Becomes familiar with, and abides by, all college policies with immediate priority given to those policies that govern interactions with colleagues, staff, administrators, and departments throughout the organization
2. Maintains professional etiquette in communications with students, staff, faculty, and administrators
3. Provides appropriate and timely feedback for all assignments
4. Returns graded assignments in a timely fashion per department standards
5. Maintains student attendance records (for Financial Aid purposes) and grades
6. Conducts a variety of appropriate evaluations of student performance
7. Informs students of progress-to-date periodically and assigns and submits grades by published deadlines
8. Assists in maintaining a safe and mutually respectful instructional environment
9. Prepares and submits incident reports to Dean of Student Services for inappropriate student behavior as defined by the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy
10. Maintains professional and collegial behavior
11. Handles/responds to student concerns/complaints, and responds to student communications and inquiries promptly (generally within 1‐2 days)
12. Maintains professional appearance as defined by the discipline and/or College procedure
13. Completes all required employee trainings
14. Knows and enforces FERPA guidelines
15. Provides ADA accommodations as requested
Earned Master’s degree or equivalent, in Kinesiology, Exercise Science or a closely related field, from an accredited college or university
Professional Membership/Certification in ACSM or NSCA
Prior teaching experience
Master’s degree or equivalent, in Kinesiology, Exercise Science or a closely related field, from an accredited college or university
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills
2. Proficient in computer use
3. Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, culture, ethnic background, and abilities, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
4. Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
This is a pooled position. The department reviews applications as positions become available.
1) In accordance with SLCC policy, adjunct positions are offered on a semester by semester basis with no guarantee of continued employment.
2) Official transcripts are required for those who are offered employment within 30 days of hire.
3) In accordance with Board of Regents policy, SLCC’s Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check on instructors if concurrent enrollment (K-12) students are assigned to classes.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.