POSITION TITLE: Senior Director, Education
LOCATION: Remote in the United States
Founded in 1934, the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) is a not-for-profit, professional association committed to advancing the specialty of rheumatology. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, this medical society serves over 7,700 physicians, health professionals, and scientists worldwide who work in the medical subspecialty of rheumatology.
The College along with its interprofessional division, the Association of Rheumatology Professionals (ARP) aims to empower the professional rheumatology community by providing education, advocacy, and practice management tools.
The ACR is a unique non-profit organization looking to offer its employees opportunities to exhibit their commitment to accountability, creativity, and initiative. To find out more about the ACR, please visit www.rheumatology.org.
The Rheumatology Research Foundation was founded by the ACR in 1985 as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. The ACR and Foundation have a management agreement, whereby the ACR provides the Foundation with a variety of management services, including staffing, access to and use of computer and other equipment and appropriate space at the ACR's Executive Office.
TITLE: Senior Director, Education
LEVEL: Senior Director
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
The Senior Director, Education is accountable for advancing ACR’s educational content strategy for providing medical educational activities to our members and non-members. The Senior Director is responsible for aligning educational operations throughout the organization and ensuring compliance with Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) criteria and standards as appropriate. This includes strategic decision-making to address learner needs, supporting identification of new revenue sources and contributing to the College’s strategic plan.
This position oversees meeting content strategy, development and delivery including the ACR Annual Meeting, smaller educational meetings, and some of ACR’s digital education. The position is responsible for ensuring a learner first approach resulting in the highest quality learner experiences. Oversees budget of approximately 12 million including Annual Meeting and partners cross functional staff leadership to ensure the appropriate processes and procedures are in place and continuously improved for effective and cost-efficient program delivery.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and maintain a positive, collaborative, and cohesive work environment
- Actively collaborate with ACR departments to identify and support organization-wide education strategies
- Oversight of content strategy, development and delivery staff providing clear goals and objectives for staff with direct supervision of approximately two department Directors.
- Provides clarity to responsibilities, goals and objectives for the team aligned with staff senior leadership expectations
- Recruits for the positions as hiring manager and selects qualified talent
- Provides guidance and support to employees to assist with completion of work activities
- Responsible for employees’ development; provides timely coaching and feedback to ensure performance is in alignment with expectations and provides opportunities for acquisition of skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in existing role and to advance employee’s career.
- Ensures management coaching and training is provided to employees who are direct supervisors to other staff members
- Oversee budget – approx. 12 million (including Annual Meeting), providing guidance to staff with management of specific program budgets as needed.
- Accountable for advancing education operations initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Oversee the effective creation, implementation, and maintenance/expansion of content strategy, collaboration with external organizations, establishing ACR as a leading global rheumatology content provider, collaborating across the organization to enhance online communities of practice, developing content for early career rheumatology professionals.
- Oversee the effective creation, implementation, and maintenance of ACR-wide taxonomies/content tagging
- Lead ABIM strategy
- Working collaboratively with other ACR departments, evolve and improve ACR’s annual meeting including leading development and implementation of pilot initiatives and tactics and expanding networking and engagement opportunities.
- Serve as staff liaison to Committee on Education or appoint designee.
- Evaluates and recommends meetings and education content pricing models to support business strategy. Works with multiple colleges units (e.g., Member Service, Meeting Services, Accounting, content development teams, staff leadership) to finalize same.
- Overall accountability for Education Department execution related to CME/MOC:
- Accountable for ensuring final CME activity reports are completed within 90 days post activity
- Ensure all Education Department CME activities are consistent with the expressed needs of the target audience (s) as prescribed in the mission statement and identified by needs assessment sources.
- Leadership support and oversight for Annual Meeting. Duties include but not limited to:
- Analyze progress reports and proactively guide team to address potential issues and ensure leadership has accurate visibility into budget tracking.
- Work with department directors to review overall meeting grid for inconsistencies / possible issues before finalized and ensure adjustments are completed.
- Support Education Department teams with executing the project and delivering the meeting - assist with removing obstacles, enabling cross functional leadership communications to obtain decisions, support, and resources, provide input and guidance as needed/requested.
- Lead Education Department portion of administration of digital educational activities on platforms including Learning Management System, Virtual Meeting Platform, video, and image libraries etc. Includes:
- Participate in vendor selection and related contracts l
- Provide input about learner and staff experiences with digital activities/platforms in order to aide with identifying opportunities for strategic, alliance, reselling, referral, and technology partnerships, build relationships, and actively track performance to a learner satisfaction and revenue-oriented metrics framework
- Business development including assisting with preparation of business plans designed to identify educational content, strategic partnerships, generate revenue, increase learner participation and satisfaction and result in improved patient outcomes
- Create and present regular reports with analysis of accomplishments, challenges, possibilities, and forecasting to Education Department, Staff Senior Leadership Team, Committee on Education, Board of Directors and other committees as appropriate;
- Initiate recommendations for focus and direction
- Develop and compile regular reports on all educational activities planned by the Content Development team their committees/planning groups with analysis of accomplishments and outreach
- Evaluate effectiveness of the educational content
- Initiate recommendations regarding future program development and implementation
- Oversee creation of project proposals based on identified needs, staff, leadership, and committee recommendations
- Any other duties the Senior Vice President & Chief Administrative Officer or the Executive Vice President may assign
- BS/BA in related discipline with ten (10) years’ experience delivering programs and/or products or MS/MA/MBA/JD with eight (8) years’ experience; additional relevant experience may be substituted in lieu of degree; experience in education program management preferred
- Experience with learning management software platforms and authoring tools
- Prior experience working in/with national medical association educational programs preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards related to educational activities e.g., American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification Program; American Board Medical Specialties (ABMS) Maintenance of Certification and Maintenance of Licensure Programs; Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education’s (ACCME) Essential Areas and Elements (including the Standards for Commercial Support) and Accreditation Policies; and the AMA guidelines regarding Continuing Medical Education (CME)
- Demonstrated expertise and success in:
- Leadership, governance, and organizational change management skills
- Budgeting and financial oversight
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Ability to work within a team structure
- Consensus-building with both internal and external constituencies
- Clear written and oral communication
- Project management with ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to direct and supervise staff and contracted temporary staff and vendors
- Detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to establish priorities, manage multiple projects simultaneously and exercise judgment in handling responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills with demonstrated ability to work with multi-level staff, volunteers, members, and vendors tactfully and efficiently
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Internet Explorer, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word as well as project management software such as Microsoft Project, SmartSheet, Easy Projects or similar.
- Experience with virtual meeting software applications such as Skype for Business, Pathable, GoToMeeting, BlueJeans, Zoom or Ring Central required
The ACR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. The ACR complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities or conducts business.
This is not a contract. The description and duties as they relate to this position are subject to change as reasonable business necessity dictates. In the event of such changes, a new job description may be created.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $114,900.00 - $129,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Work Location: Multiple Locations