About Sandy Hook Promise
Sandy Hook Promise Action Fund is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization committed to protecting all children from gun violence in schools, homes, and communities. The SHP Action Fund champions a holistic policy platform that promotes gun safety, youth mental health, and violence prevention education. The organization works at the state and federal level to pass nonpartisan legislation through inclusive partnerships, diverse grassroots education, and community mobilization. It is part of Sandy Hook Promise, founded and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed in the tragic mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012.
Commitment to Racial justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
SHP strives to ensure its culture and work environment reflect the values of race, diversity, equity, and inclusion (REDI) and is responsive to the views and issues of the diverse communities with which we live and work. SHP is interested in candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to building an equitable and diverse work environment.
The National Engagement Director is a seasoned community organizer and movement builder who has led engagement programs and issue campaigns focused on transformative change. They will serve as a senior member of the SHP Action Fund team and be responsible for building and leading our outreach and engagement infrastructure to advance the organizations holistic violence prevention mission. The National Engagement Director will manage a team of staff to organize, mobilize, and expand a multigenerational and national movement of grassroots supporters. The National Engagement Director will report to the Vice President of Policy and Partnerships.
- Develop SHPs vision, strategies, and goals to support year-round integrated engagement with SHPs organizational priorities to protect students within schools, homes and communities
- Grow engagement of grassroots activists, donors, and leaders nationally and in key states
- Lead efforts to reach new audiences and expand and diversify SHPs base of support, including the expansion of youth advocacy and engagement
- Manage a team of 2+ full-time staff, plus contractors and consultants
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications across policy platform initiatives and develop and execute national visibility and engagement campaigns
- Build and maintain relationships with key national and state partners and to ensure our network is represented in relevant coalitions and positioned as a leader in violence prevention and student safety
- Cultivate strong relationships with volunteer leaders
- Manage functional budget, in coordination with Vice President, and provide reports and proposals to facilitate development
- Work with other department directors to ensure cross-department collaboration and coordination on work within the states
- Additional duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 10 years direct experience in issue-advocacy at the grassroots level or advocacy on issue campaigns -at the national, state or local level
- 5+ years of management experience
- Commitment to Sandy Hook Promises mission and goals
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating race, equity, diversity, and inclusion principles
- Deep understanding and experience with organizing frameworks and principles, including year-round engagement tactics and strategies and the role of data and tools in supporting programs
- Experience developing and executing multi-tactic campaign plans from the ground up
- Demonstrated ability to bring strategic thinking skills, creative problem-solving abilities, and a systems-oriented work style
- Experience leading a team and/or department, including preparing and managing program budgets
- Ability to communicate effectively on sensitive or complex issues - such as violence prevention - with those who may not share SHPs sense of urgency nor fully support the organizations proposed solutions
- Experience managing remote staff is a plus
- Public speaking skills and willingness to speak on behalf of the organization
- This position requires the ability to travel based on campaign needs, when we are safely able to travel again.
Benefits and Salary Range
The starting salary for this position is $85,000.
SHP offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision
- Employer paid life insurance and short- and long-term disability
- 401k match
- Employer Paid Employee Assistance Program.
Our organization operates within a distributed workforce, allowing for location flexibility across the country for most positions. We provide remote office support for all staff, which includes a laptop, home office reimbursement, monthly wifi reimbursement up to $40, and monthly cell phone reimbursement up to $50.
Equal Opportunity Employment
SHP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be an employer of choice: where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic. We are focused on promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and believe deeply in having a workforce comprised of people of all beliefs and backgrounds who value the protection of children and seek to prevent gun violence and stop the tragic loss of life. Members of all under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.