Reference Librarian (Casual/part-time)
Salary : $28.19 - $35.22 Hourly
Location : WI 53072, WI
Job Type : Casual (up to 14 hrs/week)
Department : Library
Job Number : 2022-03-03 SV
Division : School of Academic Foundations and General Studies
Closing : 3/24/2022 11:59 PM Central
Under general supervision, to participate in all operations of the Reference Department and library training programs by providing professional level reference and research services for faculty, staff, students, and the community. This is a highly visible professional position that serves as a primary consultant on library issues related to database instruction, research, print and electronic reference sources, and the Critical Life Skill of Critical Thinking/Problem Solving.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to)
- Develop and deliver customized library, bibliographic, and/or information literacy instruction sessions including working closely with course instructors and developing materials to support instruction.
- Participate as a member of the reference department in accordance with library, regional, and national standards to include developing and administering research help desk policies and procedures; and assist in prioritizing and preparing annual goals for the department.
- Provide professional level reference and research services including APA citation assistance to students, faculty and staff, and the community, in person, on the telephone, through email, and on live chat. Meet with students including attending class presentations and evaluating presentations
- Under the guidelines of the Collection Development policy, select and de-select print and electronic resources for the library to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and community members.
- Learn and use new technologies to support library’s services and resources and to complete assigned projects.
- Review, update and modify print and electronic information to maintain currency and relevancy for users.
- Work with faculty and staff to schedule and plan workshops, instruction, tours, etc.
- Work with library staff as needed to address and resolve service issues, problems, and questions. Provide backup assistance at the Information Desk including assisting staff, students, and public, and answering the telephone.
- May be responsible for website development (Intranet, LibGuides, and database development/maintenance).
- Participate in and contribute to assignments and special projects of a similar nature and level. Maintain current professional and technical knowledge in the field through professional education and activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of professional library principles and procedures of general and specialized reference resources
- Working knowledge of electronic and print sources, electronic databases, the Internet, online catalog systems, and other computerized information resources
- Ability to plan, organize, and schedule priorities
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers and associates as a team member
- Ability to use and explain the use of catalogs, guides, and the library online catalog to customers
- Ability to work with and produce print handouts and online instruction materials that can be easily understood by students with a wide range of ability
- Demonstrated leadership, independent judgment, and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to direct other employees
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Master's degree in Library Science from ALA accredited university/college (candidates in their last year of a Master's program in Library and Information Science may be considered)
- Two years of professional level work experience in a library to include reference and/or or formal library instruction
The part-time Reference Librarian (Casual) supports the Library department and is available immediately.
This position is a casual position, up to 14 hours/week, not eligible for benefits.
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3pm to 8pm; Fridays 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
All applicants, both internal/external, must attach the following to the online application:
- cover letter
- proof of education
For more information or to learn more about this position please contact Amy Manion at email@example.com or via phone (262) 695-3459