Education Support Specialist II
Role Code : 29143
FLSA : Non-Exempt
Pay Band : 3
Working Title : Cashier/Fiscal Assistant
Position Number : 29600033
Agency : Virginia Highlands Community College
Division : Virginia Highlands Community College (Div)
Work Location : Washington - 191
Hiring Range : Annual salary range for this position is $27,000-$30,000, commensurate with experience.
Emergency/Essential Personnel : No
EEO Category : F-Office & Clerical
Full Time or Part Time : Full Time
Does this position have telework options? -Telework options are subject to change based on business needs : No
Does this position have a bilingual or multilingual skill requirement or preference? No
40 hours a week
Sensitive Position : No
Virginia Highlands Community College serves our community by providing quality and affordable education, training, and cultural activities through an array of flexible, diverse programs that enable community members to succeed today and in the future.
- Serves as cashier in collection of funds
- Receipts, records, and classifies State, Local, Federal, Bookstore, and Petty Cash funds
- Ensures funds are balanced and batched daily for depositing
- Issues security access cards
- Maintains records on internal door keys and coordinates acquisition of keys
- Provides friendly, efficient, and professional service to all clientele
- Researches and resolves student account issues in courteous and professional manner in coordination with Student Accounts Specialist
- Coordinates student accounts receivable maintaining detailed student files, preparing accounts for outstanding notices, recording and removing service indicators
- Manages services between VHCC, Credit Collection Services and VCCS Shared Services Center
- Assists in the preparation of quarterly accounts receivable report
- Serves as Petty Cash custodian
- Manages Nelnet tuition payment plan and private student loans
- Processes local transactions in coordination with VCCS Shared Services Center
- Maintains check registers and completes bank reconciliations
- Maintains and documents issuance and return of gas credit cards
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with students, faculty & staff, and other stakeholders important to the college
- Special Assignments
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with students and the general public
- Ability to utilize front line decision making skills to ensure a welcoming and helpful environment
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Excel and Word
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to deal courteously and calmly with dissatisfied students and provide guidance within College regulations
- Ability to perform detailed work with high degree of accuracy
- Ability to learn and maintain proficiency in state computer systems and programs
- Ability to maintain high level of professionalism, ethics, and confidentiality in the performance of job duties
- Education and/or experience equivalent to an associate degree in Business, Accounting, or related field
- Strong analytical, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work independently and/or with a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty & staff and other stakeholders important to the college
- Previous cash management and/or higher education experience
Operation of a State Vehicle : No
Supervises Employees : No
Required Travel : Minimal
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number : CLS_1042P
Recruitment Type : Public
Number of Vacancies : 1
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit cover letter, resume and completed Virginia state application online through the VCCS Career Portal at https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/42769. Applications will only be accepted online. Submit all attachments with online application. To be considered in the initial screening, completed applications must be received by 11:59 pm EST on February 11, 2022; position will remain open until filled. Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276-739-2425. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is received. Incomplete on-line applications or other materials submitted via e-mail, postal mail, fax or in-person will not be considered. The job announcement may be accessed at www.vhcc.edu (click on “About the College” and “Employment Opportunities”). For questions about the on-line application process please call (276) 739-2425.
Virginia Highlands Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, genetics, veteran status, or disability in its employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Documents verifying identity and eligibility to work in the United States must be presented upon hire.
VHCC participates in E-Verify.
Selected applicant will be subject to a background check.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Background Check Statement Disclaimer
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.