Habitat for Humanity of Wisconsin exists to empower Wisconsin Habitat affiliates to create one voice that advocates and influences affordable homeownership in Wisconsin. Founded in 2009, we are a statewide support organization for the 33 Wisconsin affiliates of Habitat for Humanity International. Each year, Habitat for Humanity affiliates in Wisconsin help connect hundreds of low-income families in need of safe, decent, and affordable housing. With increased collaboration, we can become an even more powerful force for affordable housing in Wisconsin.
Habitat for Humanity of Wisconsin is seeking an Executive Director to lead the organization into the future. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, strategic visionary who will help enhance one of the most recognized brands in the world for Wisconsin.
As the next Executive Director, you will have the opportunity to capitalize on new funding sources and strategically place Habitat as Wisconsin’s leader in affordable housing solutions.
The Executive Director leads the strategic, financial, and administrative functions of the organization and provides the highest level of quality, consistent with the efficient use of Habitat for Humanity of Wisconsin’s (Habitat Wisconsin) resources. The Executive Director develops and implements goals, strategies and policies that result in effective and responsible management of the organization’s programs, people, and finances.
The Executive Director will have the overall responsibility to work toward Habitat Wisconsin’s mission and purpose and will have direct accountability and responsibility for development and implementing overarching vision and strategy.
- The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors
- The Executive Director has one direct report: the AmeriCorps VISTA Program Director
- Lead the process for developing annual goals and objectives for the organization
- Develop and implement an effective evaluation system for assessing program outcomes and measuring success
- Engage the board of directors, staff, affiliate leadership and other stakeholders to re- articulate the value proposition of the organization
- Actively pursue collaborations and partnerships to advance the strategic goals of the organization
Affiliate Support & Engagement
- Lead the deployment of technical assistance, programming, training, and networking opportunities that are informed by and responsive to affiliates
- Establish and maintain a cooperative relationship with affiliates throughout the state
- Facilitate communication between Habitat for Humanity International and affiliates to ensure adherence to policies, procedures, and reporting requirements
- Encourage and facilitate affiliate, ASO and HFHI interactions
Resource Development & Fundraising
- Expand and diversify revenue-generating and fundraising activities and sources to ensure sustainability of the organization’s current and future structure and programs. Explore approaches for securing statewide funding to support affiliate operations
- Develop and manage relationships with donors, lenders, foundations, government entities and others
- Formulate and execute comprehensive marketing and branding strategies to support development efforts
- Develop and implement broad fundraising strategies for donations, grants and investment capital
- In partnership with affiliate representatives, develop an advocacy agenda to forward the mission of Habitat Wisconsin and support the work of Wisconsin affiliates. Determine whether and how to align with advocacy efforts led by other organizations
- Raise the visibility and profile of the organization through involvement in appropriate organizations, events and community-based activities
Human Resources & Operations
- Foster a workplace that emphasizes collaboration, cooperation, and inclusion. Create and promote a positive work environment that emphasizes communication among staff and engagement with the mission of the organization
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short- range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and ensuring sound financial controls are in place. Set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the program and staff
- Mobilize resources for affiliates and facilitate distributions of merchandise and funding
- Develop and ensure adherence to policies and procedures that ensure efficient, effective operations, including personnel financial management policies
Board of Directors
- Establish and maintain a cooperative relationship with the Board of Directors. Support the operations and administration of the Board of Directors and committees. Assist the Board with recruiting and retaining Board and committee members
- Ensure timely and effective communications with the Board of Directors and with individual Board members
Habitat for Humanity International
- Participate in Habitat for Humanity International efforts to define and/or advance the role of Affiliate Support Organizations
- Monitor information from Habitat International to determine the effects on Habitat Wisconsin and affiliates. Promote affiliate perspectives with Habitat International
Preferred Work Location
Location is flexible, with a combination of remote work and travel requirements throughout the state. Location must be centrally located to ensure efficient access to the majority of Wisconsin affiliates, may be co-located with a Habitat affiliate office. and must have office space for 1-2 people.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a proven influencer who is a trusted advisor and skilled at connecting with a diverse audience and achieving buy-in on broad initiatives. The ability to collaborate successfully with affiliates, stakeholders, Habitat International and others, to establish and build strong and mutually beneficial relationships is essential. You should be passionate and driven to make a significant impact on affordable housing in our Wisconsin communities.
The following experience and qualities would be exemplified for the ideal candidate:
- Leadership of a Habitat affiliate and/or other housing nonprofit agency
- A propensity for advocacy and a high degree of comfort in mobilizing others in advocacy efforts
- A passion and experience in resource development including having met and exceeded fundraising/advancement goals
- Proven expertise in financial management, budgeting, driving revenue and controlling expenses
- The ability to manage operations, supervise a staff of professionals and work as an effective and proactive team player
- Successful experience with strategic planning, board development, program and policy development
- The ability to be a trusted advisor to diverse affiliates, lifting them up while managing tense situations
- A thorough, organized and detail-oriented approach to work. Demonstrated verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills with experience in public speaking and the ability to communicate Habitat Wisconsin’s vision.
- The ability to work cooperatively with the Board of Directors consistent with the strategy, goals and direction of the organization.
- Cultural competence, including passion, interest and demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity values.
Compensation & Benefits
$55,000 to $70,000, based on experience with an opportunity for growth as the organization grows. Benefits package includes paid time off, group health, life and long-term disability insurance.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Working remotely is allowed; masks required in office; meetings held virtually when possible.
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: Multiple Locations