If you’re an amazing nonprofit CEO, or believe you have the attributes to become one, then keep reading. We’re looking for someone with the skills/knowledge and experience to be a CEO. To be our amazing CEO, you will be authentic, nimble, adaptive, have a conviction to serve others, a touch of humor, exude joy, and be a fearless leader.
If you can move seamlessly from task to task and jump in where needed without being micro-managed, if you are genuinely and endlessly curious; if you can make meetings captivating and less cumbersome; if you believe that collaboration is part of obtaining long-term goals, and you appreciate that technology is the tool needed to stay competitive and engage the community, then come work for us.
The United Way of Danville-Pittsylvania County is dedicated to fighting for the health, education, and financial stability of every person residing in our regional footprint. It all adds up to incredible work by many, impacting thousands of lives in our community each year.
This is an exciting time for Danville, Virginia, and the United Way of Danville-Pittsylvania County. The Dan River Region, as we are known, announced more than $407 million of new investment during 2022. Additionally, Caesars will break ground in late 2022 on its $507 million casino project in Danville. These opportunities will provide new investments and partnerships with our United Way, as well as support of our local nonprofits.
Fortunately, you will be working with a Board of Directors who understand their role and are active, competent and vision focused.
- 4- Day Work Week
- Medical and Long-Term Disability
- Simplified Employee Pension Plan
- Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Pay
- Paid Life Insurance
- Professional Development
- Position Description
The CEO reports to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
This is a full-time, 4 day a week, salaried position. The President/CEO serves as the leader of the organization and establishes a vision that is worked towards through a diverse team of high-performing staff, volunteers, and community leaders. The CEO leverages the power of relationships and resources across all sectors to improve conditions in the community. Within the framework of the organization’s by-laws and policies, the CEO has the authority to take necessary action to administer, coordinate and direct the day-to-day operations of the organization and perform the job responsibilities. The CEO represents and promotes the mission of the United Way to the community, in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
Specifically, the primary elements of the position description include:
- Work closely with the Board and staff to craft and adapt strategy to achieve increased community impact, including raising the funds to support it.
- Position United Way as a leader and partner in community improvement ventures to advance the common good in Danville and Pittsylvania County and expand the role of United Way in addressing and solving community issues.
- Build and cultivate relationships with top leaders in the community including government officials, business leaders, and other civic leaders, and create partnerships to maximize resources.
- Lead and manage grant and internally funded initiatives and pursue grant funding for initiatives
- Oversee community allocations process by announcing fund availability, distributing applications, and coordinating volunteer review of applications. Ensure that a sound community allocation process is followed.
- Drive key results in fundraising, volunteerism, and advocacy
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners.
- Leverage community and business relationships into resource development opportunities.
- Promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and Board level.
- Maintain campaign records and statistics. Analyze and evaluate fund raising and fund distribution results to benefit future campaigns
- Provide advice and administrative support to the Board in all fundraising activities.
- Oversee development of campaign and marketing materials including: brochure, pledge forms and electronic media.
- Serve as the principal resource to the Board of Directors
- Partner with the Board and Staff to develop organizational goals and strategies while consistently reviewing progress to ensure achievement through coordination and alignment of all United Way activities.
- Provide strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation.
- Assess organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staff; develop plans for contingency and successions.
- Assure that the Board of Directors membership is diverse and has broad community representation.
- Build and lead teams and ensure alignment and collaboration to achieve organizational results
- Maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Directly manage staff and establish individual goals.
- Work with staff and volunteers to manage organizational spending.
- Ensure skills growth and professional development of staff
- Develop and monitor operating budget; oversees compliance controls to mitigate financial risks.
- Work with staff and volunteers to plan the annual United Way campaign, setting annual goal jointly with Board of Directors.
- Ensure inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers.
- Understand and comply with the Bylaws and Policies of the United Way of Danville-Pittsylvania County.
Required (Minimum) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree. An advanced degree or relevant professional experience is desirable,
- Three plus years in a management role.
- Demonstratable excellent written and oral communication skills
- Substantial experience working with volunteers
- Willingness to work a flexible 4-day a week schedule
Other Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in nonprofit management
- Budget management; grant writing/reporting experience
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships, resolve conflicts, and think strategically
- Prior experience managing staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated effectiveness in inspiring support and confidence from a diverse group of stakeholders
- Able to command confidence and respect
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support
- Commitment to data-driven program evaluation
- Ability to build collaboration with the community at large
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with ability to cultivate existing Board Member relationships
- Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative
- Passionate, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, self-directed, and strong sense of accountability
Application deadline is March 1, 2022
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $60,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
Work Location: One location