Long one of America’s foremost, bona fide Art Colonies, Taos is also home to a world-class ski resort (Taos Ski Valley), a World Heritage Site (Taos Pueblo), one of the most photographed and iconic churches (St. Francisco de Asis), and a majestic landscape encompassing the Rocky Mountains and the Rio Grande Gorge (and its eponymous bridge). Drawn by clean air and mythical light, visitors come to New Mexico’s Soul of the Southwest to experience rich spiritual traditions, fine art, distinctive cuisine, a thriving music scene and of course, the raw, natural beauty of the landscape. Discover your place faraway from the everyday in Taos, New Mexico.
New Mexico State University invites you to apply to be a part of a diverse, dynamic and welcoming learning and working environment. NMSU seeks employees who are creative and flexible in developing and evaluating new ideas and ways to evolve NMSU into the future. NMSU is committed to sustainability through improving and maintaining the quality of human life while preserving the integrity, stability, and beauty of ecological systems for the future. We are looking for student-centered employees with a passion for success. NMSU invites you to take the first step to your successful and rewarding career by applying today.
NMSU is New Mexico’s land-grant and space-grant institution, a comprehensive research institution dedicated to teaching, research, public service and outreach. In addition, the NMSU system includes a satellite learning center in Albuquerque, Cooperative Extension Service offices located in each of New Mexico’s 33 counties, and 12 agriculture research and science centers. New Mexico State University is the institution of choice for more than 15,000 students from 49 states and 89 foreign countries.
Position Number 719064 Position Job Title Extension Agricultural Agent Rank Instructor, Assistant Professor Tenure Status Non-Tenure Track Position Summary
THIS IS A NON TENURE TRACK POSITION.
Position located in Taos, NM.
Successful candidate will:
- Provide leadership and guidance to Extension educational programs in agriculture, urban horticulture, 4-H and youth development, community and economic development, and natural resources throughout the county as job requires.
- Recruit, train and support volunteer adult and youth leaders.
- Collaborate with other Extension Agents, with State Extension Specialists, the Northern District Department Head and other administrators as well as outside agencies and organizations in planning and implementing the total Extension program.
- Maintain a favorable public image and gain acceptance for self, Extension and New Mexico State University among county citizens.
- Administratively responsible to the Northern District Department Head.
- Support annual County Fair efforts.
- Provide timely reports as required.
Master’s degree (in hand by hire date) required. At least one degree must be in Agriculture. Or may be under-filled with a Bachelor’s degree as a College Instructor rank. Degree must be in Agriculture or related field and a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA. Must complete a master’s degree within 5 years of hire date to remain employed.
- Ability to relate effectively to people of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, income and education levels in order to develop informal educational programs that meet their needs.
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing as well as teach.
- Ability to implement educational experiences for both youth and adults in furtherance of the mission of Extension required.
- Ability to provide the leadership role in management of volunteer organizations including recruitment, training and support of volunteers.
- Successful candidate must have basic computer skills.
Preferred Qualifications (optional)
Previous extension experience preferred.
Satisfactory experience in Extension or related field demonstrating ability to work with adults and/or youth preferred.
Special Requirements of the Position
Position is for Taos County, headquarters in
Taos, NM. Must live in county where employed and be willing to work odd hours as needed.
Personal auto required; reimbursed at IRS rate per mile. Valid driver’s license required.
Special Instructions to Applicants Campus/Work Site Taos, NM Appointment Status Regular, Full-time Appointment Full-time Equivalency 1.0 Appointment Base Annual Posting Date 06/01/2021 Closing Date 02/28/2022 Target Salary Rate Position funded by grant or other form of temporary funding No Anticipated Job Begin Date (optional) Anticipated Job End Date, if applicable (optional)