The SVP of Housing Development ( SVP-HD) oversees and is accountable for HFHHC’s ongoing operations. A key member of the senior management team, the SVP-HD reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and promotes the agency’s mission, culture and vision through its multifaceted community development enterprise.
The SVP-HD is responsible for the effectiveness and efficiency of the affiliate’s housing development activities, which includes maintaining control of housing development, products and schedules and establishing and promulgating appropriate procedures and processes in support of board established policies and goals.
Working toward established goals for performance, the SVP-HD leads employees and encourages maximum performance across the organization’s mission. The SVP-HD must display the highest level of integrity and lead by example in all areas.
- Provide day-to-day oversight of the programmatic lines of business including homebuilding, development and neighborhood revitalization.
- Responsible for leading the affiliate to achieve and meet or exceed production and programmatic outcome goals and objectives.
- Dedication to developing and maintaining a strong, stable and engaged workforce.
Aptitude in sound decision-making and problem-solving in pressure situations.
- Collaborate with the governing board and professional leadership team to develop and implement plans for the housing program’s infrastructure of systems, processes and staff.
- The position may use volunteers to assist in performing tasks, but must monitor the volunteer’s performance for quality purposes. Effective and positive communication and appreciation of and with volunteers is vital to the success of this position.
- Forecast affiliate needs across all departments that interact with the housing program: homeowner candidates, land, volunteer recruitment, pre-development activities, home preservation, and construction expenses.
- Remain within budget and achieve goals in the number of homes constructed or rehabilitated.
Keep management apprised of land needs to meet projected goals. Collaborate with municipal officials, land planners, engineers and other affiliate senior management in preparation of home plans, site plans and multi-unit developments.
- Establish countywide construction schedule; SVP-HD coordinate with permit applications to ensure that there is continuous impact.
- Manage building program in accordance with Habitat for Humanity International’s Best Practices. Program to be implemented by VP of Construction.
Investigate alternative building materials, taking advantage of new methods or technologies, and report periodically to board. This includes periodic review and justification of costs.
- Propose and implement appropriate energy-efficient and hurricane-resistant construction methodologies.
- Represent affiliate in joint ventures with developers and other stakeholders (local government, TBBA, etc.)
- Review, comment and recommend acceptance or change to construction-related contracts.
- Work with the Community Planning & Development Manager (CP&D) to analyze the potential to obtain government related funding grants. Develop strategy to maximize government related grant funding.
- Serve in leadership role of CHDO (Hillsborough County Habitat for Humanity Community Housing Development Organization Inc.). Work with CP&D to maximize CHDO funding opportunities.
- Ensure affiliate is utilizing appropriate material and vendor procurement system as it relates to homebuilding operations.
- Maintain a project management and timeline scheduling system that is available for all staff to review.
- Review and approve invoices, including expenditures up to the limits of authority approved by the Board.
Coordinate with homeowner candidate recruitment staff to ensure construction and homeowner pipeline are complimentary.
- Attend affiliate committee meetings including real estate, loan, safety and other committees as directed. Provide a monthly, written status report to the Board, and informal updates as required.
- Work with legal professionals to establish homeowner associations as necessary. Ensure homebuyers receive appropriate homeowmer association training.
- Present the work and mission of Habitat for Humanity to public groups including neighborhood assocations, municipal officials, and other potential partners.
- In depth understanding of and commitment to the HFHHC mission of building homes, community and hope.
- BS/BA in Business Administration, Planning, Engineering or relevant field; graduate level a plus.
- 5 plus years of operational and personnel management, with minimum 2 years in a senior leadership position.
Proficient wtth Microsoft Office.
- High-level understanding of all business functions, including Basic Finance and Project Management.
- Housing development including zoning, municipal approvals, site and house plans, infrastructure process and residential construction materials and methods,
- Ability to communicate clearly to multiple audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Understanding of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in an office. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, copiers, phones, tablets, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate performs the following activities: standing; walking; bending squatting, use hands, reach with hands/arms, listen and communicate.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time exempt position. The typical workweek is Monday – Friday with some evenings and weekends required.
Please send resumes to [email protected]. All resumes will be reviewed upon receipt