As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Department of Ophthalmology has an outstanding opportunity for a Research Scientist 2!
This research includes the investigation of biological mechanisms and retinal circuitry for normal cone based vision and vision disorders involving cone photoreceptors.
• Research Scientist position involves independently reconstructing functional neural circuity in the primate retina annotating neurons and synapses in a connectome from macaque retina, training and supervising student annotators, analyzing data and preparing figures for manuscripts.
• Enroll human subjects in experiments designed to study the visual system
• Perform study procedures including collecting and analyzing optical coherence tomography (OCT) images and measuring choroid thickness.
• Developing computer software for collecting and analyzing data in vision science experiments
• Annotate serial EM volumes using the web-based, multiuser Viking software.
• Instruct, direct, and supervise the activities of laboratory technicians, postdoctoral fellows, graduate and undergraduate students as required
• Prepare figures for publication
• Participate in writing of manuscripts for publication
• Perform experiments involving human subjects
• Writing programs in MATLAB, python and Macros in Microsoft applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering AND 2 years of experience in Engineering related work
• Experience in using software for connectomics and imaging
• Must be an independent thinker with excellent trouble shooting/problem solving skills
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Minor in Mathematics
• Knowledge of retinal circuitry for vision
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.