Academic and Career Pathway Advisor
Posting Number: 201101020P
Location: Arcadia Commons Campus
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Pay Rate: Minimum $43,723 per year. Placement is determined upon education and relevant years of experience beyond minimum requirements.
Position Type: Staff
Department: Kalamazoo Valley Accelerated Associate Program
Are you an organized, detail-oriented person who people can count on? Do you like to motivate others to succeed? If so, then Kalamazoo Valley Community College may have the ideal job opportunity for you.
KVCC is seeking a full-time Academic and Career Pathway Advisor to facilitate student success and goal achievement through a holistic approach. The advisor provides academic and career advising for potential and current KVAAP students, based on the educational and career goals developed with the student in a Guided Pathway/case management model. You will administer and interpret career assessments, teach career decision making, and provide career resources to help the student determine a solid education and career path. This includes educational pathway selection, course recommendations and sequencing, developing an individualized student educational plan within an electronic planning system, and providing referrals to other college support services as needed for timely progress toward completion. You will develop and implement pathway-specific career curriculum, program planning, while providing support to ensure student enrollment, retention, persistence, and completion. You will also monitor academic progress of students in assigned caseload, recommend and/or make adjustments, manage early alerts, and provide both preventative and just-in-time intervention measures from pre-enrollment to completion.
Additional responsibilities as follows:
* Represent the assigned pathway in proactively recruiting and enrolling students in activities and events.
* Develop, coordinate, and facilitate content and activities for KVAAP seminars. The activities could include; classroom presentations, workshops, orientations, special targeted events, and outreach initiatives for Student Success Services.
* Develop block schedules to streamline KVAAP student registration process and maximize schedule efficiency.
* Develop self-assessment tools and curriculum for college-wide programming.
* Lead pathway team (faculty, counselors and staff) to improve course sequencing, transfer, and timely intervention initiatives to increase student retention and degree completion.
* Collaborate with faculty and staff throughout the college to promote student academic and career success.
* Act as a liaison to faculty within assigned pathway; and work in conjunction with First Year Experience (FYE) faculty to support students enrolled in FYE courses.
* Train and mentor new advisors on assessments, curriculum procedures, and onboarding.
* Serve as a lead advisor, as needed, in coordinating schedules; and identify training and development opportunities for advisors.
Appropriate education, training, experience and talents are a requirement. An example of this would be a bachelor’s degree in social science or a pathway affiliated field with two years related experience.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Skill in building relationships with students
- Skill in oral and written communications
- Skill in interpreting career assessments
- Skill in leading teams
- Skill in use of academic monitoring systems
- Knowledge of guided pathways and meta-majors
- Knowledge of college programs, courses and services
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- One year of educational or work experience in a community college environment preferred.
Physical Demands: none
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, will be required to work one night a week until 7 to serve students.
Posting Date : 12/17/2021
Closing Date: 01/06/2022
As an employer, KVCC encourages, welcomes, and fosters differences because we believe that diversity makes us great. Diversity extends beyond race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, and encompasses people of all abilities, identities, circumstances, and characteristics. All qualified applicants will be given equal opportunity and consideration for employment; please consider joining us as we continue to enrich lives by teaching and serving our community with excellence. Prior to a job offer, candidates will be required to complete a criminal record background check.
For some positions, a credit history investigation will also be required. Information gathered will be used for job-related purposes to the extent permitted by applicable law and will not result in an automatic disqualification from an employment opportunity