Assistant Vice President – Institutional Research & Decision Support Services
Starting Salary Range
Excellent benefits package. Click here to view our benefits summary.
This position, which reports to the President, will actively collaborate with the President and senior leadership. This is a key leadership position supporting managers and key stakeholders in using data to inform decision-making to support student success, strategic planning, accreditation, and effective use of resources. This position leads efforts to encourage a culture of strategic and data-informed decision-making throughout the College. A significant focus is placed on building relationships with individuals throughout the institution, understanding data and information structures and capacities, and connecting disparate pieces of information.
This position supports a broad range of strategic and operational initiatives, projects, and programs by analyzing data and using predictive analytics to forecast trends, makes recommendations for program and operational needs, offers and formulates solution options for departmental and operational goals and objectives, uses predictive analytics to forecast trends, all of which have a direct impact on College revenue projections, program offerings and its workforce (which includes numerous mandatory topics of bargaining, such as: positions within bargaining units, employee pay and benefits, and staffing levels and assignments).
This position is accountable for the data analysis, business intelligence and strategic information resources, and compliance reporting. This position is responsible for utilizing qualitative and quantitative data collection, retrieval, and analysis techniques. The position is responsible for serving as the central clearinghouse for college-wide reporting. The planning, organizing, leading and decision-support systems compose the primary scope of the position and include ensuring data integrity, statistical analysis and reporting, and other data-intensive college initiatives. Core data and analyses are developed to respond to Federal, State and local entities, accreditation requirements, internal standard and ad hoc reports.
This position supervises Institutional Research & Decision Support Services staff.
- Master’s degree in information technology, social science research, education, or related field
- Three (3) years experience in administration of analytical systems, institutional research or decision support services.
- Three (3) years experience in strategic leadership with detailed involvement in support of accountabilities and compliance, can be concurrent with #2.
- Three (3) years of supervisory/managerial experience including budgeting and human resource responsibilities, can be concurrent with #2.
- Ability to advise department leaders, faculty and staff with a focus on using data to inform decision making and business analytic capabilities.
- Strong documented skills in learning and applying advanced information technology systems to address operational and strategic services.
- Demonstrated skill in verbal and written communication and strong human relations skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, handle time constraints and manage shifting priorities, while constantly exercising discretion and independent judgement in matters of significance
- Demonstrated leadership style that is participative with a collaborative management style emphasizing staff involvement and effective delegation skills.
- Ability to function as a team player working closely with the College President, other senior executives of the College, Board members, faculty, and support staff.
- Ability to accomplish both broad, visionary assignments as well as complex, detailed projects on a timely basis.
- Appreciation for and support of the mission and culture of the College. Commitment and/or experience promoting and fostering an environment that is supportive of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to disseminate information in layman’s terms, as necessary.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Consistent and timely attendance.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
- Doctorate degree.
- Direct experience using data warehouse technologies as well as software such as Tableau, Cognos, and SPSS, as well as Microsoft Office professional suite and related systems.
- Leadership involvement in professional and/or regulatory associations
- Experience in a union environment
- Experience in higher education, nonprofit, public administration or related environment
- Experience with accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position approximately one third of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Frequently operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and computer printer.
Full-time (40 hours) position requiring some evening and week-end hours. Must be willing and able to work flexible hours to meet the needs of this position.
The College has three modes of work, which are 1) on-site (100% physically at a College worksite), 2) hybrid (time split between remote and on-site), and 3) remote (100% remote with no on-site work). This position is currently operating in a hybrid work mode. On-site and remote days are determined by the needs of the department. All new hires must be able to work in a hybrid mode while the College is operating under a hybrid work plan and must be able to work on-site in a full-time capacity if/when the College transitions to a full-time on-site work model. This position may work in a hybrid, remote, or on-site model based on the needs of the College, and as assigned by the immediate supervisor. These modes are subject to change.
For Detailed Job Description Click Here
Degree must be conferred by date of offer.
Visa sponsorship is not available.
Selected candidates must submit to a drug test and criminal background check.
The College reserves the right to cancel the search at any time.
Open until filled
Additional Application Deadline Information
The College reserves the right to close the recruitment process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
Equal Opportunity Statement
As an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution, the College encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. The College does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran’s status, age, disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform adequately, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. Title IX Coordinator Contact Information: 1401 E. Court St., Prahl College Center (PCC- 2030G), Flint, MI 48503, (810) 762-0024. Title II, ADA, Coordinator Contact Information: 1401 E. Court St., Curtice-Mott Complex (CM-1024), Flint, MI 48503, (810) 762-0373. Section 504 Coordinator Contact Information: 1401 E. Court St., Prahl College Center (PCC- 1130), Flint, MI 48503, (810) 762-0191.